lauren_roberts36

Urgent help please - LED strip for lantern - How to?

Hey Houzzers

Anyone able to help advise us how we should best put LEDs in our roof lantern?

We asked builder to put a small ledge where lantern meets the normal ceiling... but this didnt happen and they dont want to do more work to put one there as they have plastered.

So now the only option is putting LEDs at the top of the lantern (image below of our lantern as it is and a diagram to help explain where we think the LEDs now have to go)

I read we really shouldn't have them facing the glass? Any good ideas how we should do this? Or what we should avoid? And think we need aluminium channels but lots of different shapes out there - Feeling clueless and overwhelmed!!!

And if anyone has any LED recommendations would love to know them.

Comments (5)

• Nate218
    last year

This is what I've done in mine

• Andrew
    last year

I think any answer will depend on where you have installed the wiring for the LED strip and where the transformer goes. You will probably get better answers if you specify that.

• Lauren Roberts
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks guys, sorry i tried to show in the diagram, the LED can only go at the very top, we asked for a small lip like seen in the images nate posted above but builder didnt and wont do that,

So now we're left with putting them right at the top and not sure how to or if its even worth bothering any more if cant be as we originally wanted it.

• Andrew
    last year

Could you use something like this?

https://marcled.com/wall-wash-led-profile-tcw2/2005-31392-1m-1000mm-tcw2-led-profile-anodized-silver-wall-ceiling-set-with-opal-cover-9334560789008.html

It will screw wherever you want on the plastered wall with the LED strip shining upwards. But, as I said, that will depend on where the wiring is.

• Francesca Gosling
    last year

You really want to try and avoid having the led reflected in the glass of the sky light. It would be best to put the tape in an aluminium profile and have an opal diffuser so there is no visible LED dotting. I would then mount this on its side and add a L or U shape channel in the same colour as the ledge so it’s conceals the led and profile so you won’t see it in the reflection. Done a quick sketch

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.