rob_newton7803841

Painting front door

Rob N
21 days ago

Hi, does anybody have any advice for painting my composite front door please? It's currently black but I have bought a Farrow & Ball French Gray colour match, and wondered how many coats people think it will need?
Thanks 🙂

Comments (16)

• lspendl 828
    21 days ago

Prime with Zinsser 123 followed by 2 coats of paint suitable for exterior use. Make sure the coats are thin. Good luck.

• Sonia
    21 days ago

You will need exterior quality eggshell, normal indoor eggshell or satinwood will start to peel pretty quickly.

• Sonia
    21 days ago

Also I have just had a new composite door fitted and the installers gave me a little pot of matching paint to touch up any knocks and scrapes. It’s quite smelly so I think it is oil based so there is paint specifically for composite doors, but unfortunately I don’t know the brand.

• Isla Cherry
    20 days ago

Great question. I also have a composite front door that is starting to peel. It's new so not very impressed. Thanks for the primer reminder @Ispendl 828. I'm going to try F&B external eggshell. Its under a proper porch so surprised it needs painting already. I would do two coats and if you have enough paint maybe a third.

• Sonia
    20 days ago

Isla, if the door is new and already peeling then contact the installers. There is usually a warranty of some sort?

• Isla Cherry
    20 days ago

Sonia, great suggestion but we bought the house from the couple who bought it from a developer and I have no idea how to find out who is the manufacturer? It's definitely peeling around the glass panel insert. Is there anyway to look for a brand or serial number within the frame? I may also be able to find out through our window installer as he has done some other work for me since. I will investigate, thank you. It's a couple of years old now.

• Betty Boo
    20 days ago

Isla, composite doors usually come with a 10 year warranty but unless the developer passed it in to the previous owners and they’ve kept it - have you searched through all the paperwork? - there’s no come back. Might have expected peeling to occur in full sun but as you say, your door is under a porch.

• Isla Cherry
    20 days ago

That is really good to know about the 10 year warranty. I can ask but I am also missing Quooker information, some appliance information, shower and tap details etc, etc. It's very disappointing as the plumber told me himself that every brochure was left with the property on completion. Apart from the heating system and ASHP I have very little. I had a right job tracking down the bifold door handle specification when one of them failed about a year ago. I did get it sorted but it was so much more painful. Why can't people look after the information they are given? All you have to do is file it.

• Sonia
    20 days ago

Isla, most composite doors seem to be supplied by just a small amount of manufacturers such as Solidor or Hurst, but without the proof of purchase, not much you can do I suppose. I did see an article on Pinterest where someone painted a composite door so I’ll see if I can find it.

• Sonia
    20 days ago

Found the blog, but not sure how to share it, but very interesting as she used two different paints a few years apart, one was Zinsser All Coat and the other was Frenchic Al Fresco. The Frenchic won hands down. I’ve screenshot the Pinterest page and I just found the blog by searching “painting a composite door”. Great step by step photos too. I hope it helps a little.

• Rob N
    Original Author
    20 days ago

Thanks for the responses all. This is the paint I've bought to use - do y'all think it needs a primer first?

• lspendl 828
    20 days ago

Yes. You’ll get a better, more robust finish.

• Isla Cherry
    20 days ago

Thanks so much Sonia, really sorry to jump on your post Rob N! Hope yours turns out great then I can copy your steps if I have no success with finding my manufacturer.Yes I would use a primers first, the Zinsser one is excellent.

• Rob N
    Original Author
    18 days ago

I'd also like to add some greenery around my doorway. I don't have much room as you can see as there is a ramp to the next door flat right next to my door, however I was thinking of maybe hanging some wisteria above the door to add a bit more colour. Only problem is, I have no idea how best to attach any greenery; above and around the door is concrete that has a bumpy surface and above that is the soffits under the gutter. Any ideas on how to hang stuff to the brick/soffits?

Thanks for advice so far, I will be making another trip to B&Q for the zinsser 123! Is there a specific number I need to buy, as on the B&Q web site it lists over 100 results for zinsser 123, each with different product names eg zinsser 123 mixed colour ral 6001, zinsser 123 mixed colour ral 3031 etc etc

• lspendl 828
    18 days ago

The basic product is white but it can be mixed with a RAL colour (such as your French Grey) if you want. White would be fine though.

• Sonia
    18 days ago

Wisteria gets very big and very heavy so I think not a good choice for that spot, but there are other plants you could add. Clematis is very pretty and not too vigorous (don’t get Clematis Montana as it is vigorous and will swamp the area). You could also try a climbing rose, but check eventual height. They come in various heights. You could add a piece of wooden trellis to the wall and tie the climber to it. Star Jasmine is evergreen and the flowers smell lovely (first pic). It is a little tender so needs a sheltered spot.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.