pwcr

Rebuild or Renovate? Transforming a 1990s Bungalow into a modern home

Proctor Watts Cole Rutter
last year
last modified: last year

Should I knock down and rebuild or upgrade and renovate?

As an Architect, when you are approached by a new client wanting to transform an unattractive and uninspiring 1990s Bradstone bungalow into a modern, light and energy efficient home, you relish the chance to breathe new life back into an unloved, out of date building.

Extension and whole house refurbishment - Tisbury · More Info

When considering extensive works to a residential property, the question of whether to knock down and start again or make best use of the property and renovate, is often one that is driven by economics.

In this case, the clients wanted to ensure the project resulted in a low energy, low maintenance property for their retirement. Knocking down and rebuilding, with resulting loss of all the embodied energy stored in the existing building did not fit with our clients or our practice ethos.

We were able to present a scheme to our clients that significantly extended the property and also wrapped the remaining building in external insulation with a rendered finish. Despite the complete and dramatic transformation of the building, the design was also welcomed by the local planning authority.

Energy Considerations

As part of the renovation, we were asked to consider the heating and energy requirements to help minimise the carbon footprint of the property. We incorporated the following measures in the design:

• To upgrade the thermal performance of all external fabric - Walls, floors and roof as well as energy efficient windows and doors
  • To improve the air tightness of the property to minimise uncontrolled heat loss
  • Energy efficient underfloor heating throughout - with this, and hot water, provided by an air source heat pump
  • Whole house heat recovery ventilation system (MVHR) - ensuring all heat generated within the house stays in the house and providing a comfortable internal environment with fresh air all year round
  • Adding a solar PV array with compatible car charging point and battery system to generate and store power on site and reduce energy consumption

By overseeing the project on site and working closely with the Contractors, Burfitt & Garrett, we were able to improve the EPC rating of this house from D to an A.

Before - unattractive, uninspiring and uninsulated

Happy clients!

Our clients have been delighted with the results saying in a recent review that, "We asked PWCR to design and oversee the conversion of an ugly 1990 bungalow into a stylish, spacious and efficient modern home.

Two substantial extensions (including a large and stunning vaulted kitchen) were built and the interior was extensively re-arranged.

We wanted a house that was suitable for the two of us for most of the time, but able to accommodate large numbers of family and friends when needed. This aim has succeeded well beyond our expectations."

More photos of the completed project here

There will be occasions when demolishing and starting again will no doubt be the best option, but this project has demonstrated that with a willing client and an imaginative design, existing properties can be transformed into attractive, energy efficient homes.

PWCR are RIBA Chartered Architects and Town Planners located in Dorset and working on projects throughout the South West of England.

Tell us…
Are you debating whether to rebuild or renovate? Did you find this advice useful? Share your thoughts in the Comments or get in touch if you would like a free initial consultation.

Comment (1)

• Jonathan
    last year

It’s also the case that sometime planners will only permit a remodel and so you have to work with what you have.
    Great job 👏

Proctor Watts Cole Rutter thanked Jonathan
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.