webuser_598390104

We would like to hide our TV when it is not in use

As our TV is large (55") it dominates our living room which is 15' x 15' approx. Our room faces north-east, so I don't want to darken it further. The doors, coffee tables etc. are light/mid oak which we like. A local company has sent us designs and whilst it is basically what we asked for, we feel that it could look heavy for the room, hence making it look smaller. It is a new house we are in and all the walls are painted white, which we like. I can't attach his drawings, but I will try to describe the design to you. The TV would not be wall mounted and would be behind 2 sliding oak doors in the middle of the wall (at eye height when sitting on the couch opposite) - each door being half the width of the TV. Also there will be 2 smaller sliding doors above and below the TV which would make the unit ceiling to floor. There would be shelving (a mixture of glass and wooden shelving) behind the doors and the backing would be the same as the doors. (I'm wondering if we should change the backing to white??). There would also be some concealed lighting Under some shelves. My husband has a largish speaker at each side of the TV, primarily for listening to music, but the TV sound also comes through them, so room for them is required as well as an amplifier. Do you feel it would be better to have a unit the full length of the room or one not so big? Im wondering what material you would recommend for the six independently moving doors? We would be grateful for any suggestions. Thank you.

Comment (1)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.