jeff_farr26

Stripping flaking emulsion

Geoff F
4 years ago

My partner erroneously painted over ‘wet’ plaster, and unsurprisingly the paint is now flaking off. I’m having a terrible job fully scraping/sanding back all the flaking paint. When I do so, as soon as I then paint over the exposed spots with thinned paint, yet more of the original, surrounding and poorly bonded paint flakes up!

I read online about the possibility of using a wallpaper stripper, or a warm iron to help lift off poorly bonded paint - but it’s not so poorly bonded that it comes off with a scrapper, blade, or sander.

Any advice on how to stop the paint repeatedly flaking off further back than I’ve managed to scrape before?!

Geoff

Comment (1)

• User
    4 years ago
    I recently commented on another post about this problem. I'm not a professional decorator, I just do all my own decorating and must have encountered every problem going over the years! I had this issue on a ceiling where the paint had been flaking off. After a few false starts, I eventually ended up having to scrape off all of the paint and sand back to the plaster, where I found a shiny coating. A builder friend told me that it was probably PVA, which some people use to seal the plaster so they can paint the plaster before it has dried out properly. However, this just leads to aforementioned bubbling and peeling later down the line. I sanded this off too and proceeded to repaint using 3-4 coats of thinned down paint. It was a horrendous job, but there have been no problems since. Not sure if this will help in your case as it sounds like you just need to wait for the wall to dry out and start again... don't put PVA on it!
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.