cannot_compute

Small north facing garden design

Cc
5 years ago

Hi folks,

Looking for some inspiration and ideas.

I bought this house last year and most of the inside is done so now I'm looking at the outside. I have some time off and wondered would I be able to make myself a nice back garden before the summer.

Some details

Garden is north facing

Size is roughly 8m long x 6.5m wide (26ft long x 21 ft wide)

Back wall 2m (7ft ) high

East side wall 1.8 (6ft) high

West side wooden fence 1.8m (6ft)high

Oil tank and boiler are not movable.

Grass is optional but I would love some nice flowers/bedding

A new shed is required and I'm thinking something small maybe 6ft x 4ft just to store some stuff.

The sunniest part is typically backwall on the oiltank/boiler side as it gets the last of the west light and high summer sun.

The concrete you see at the bottom which is in a hollow is the base of an old block shed that used to be there.

All I really want is this space to look 'nice' - it's never going to be a football field, nor is it going to be a big outdoor dining area... I would just like some colour through flowers to take away all the grey and space to put out a little table and chairs.

Any suggestions where to even start with this? Or what I could do with it? How do I even out all the levels and surfaces?

Comments (14)

• rachelmidlands
    5 years ago
    Hi Cc. Block walls are grey and ugly aren’t they. I have the same at the back of my garden which I’m slowly trying to cover up with various things. You could of course paint it with masonry paint but this does mean extra maintenance over the years. First thing that strikes me is that you have patio doors which don’t lead onto a patio, so that’s the first thing I’d sort out. The back wall gets all the sun so how about a block or brick built raised planter, doesn’t matter too much if it’s on a concrete base so long as you put a good layer of gravel or loose stones in the bottom and weep holes in the brick work for drainage. For leveling out, well, I’d be breaking my back with a spade but if that doesn’t sound fun you can possibly hire a mini digger for the day so long as it will fit down the path. I’ve got a couple of ideas so later today I’ll sketch them out for you.
  • Cc
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Rachel. Appreciate the comments and would love to see what you sketch. I agree the grey walls need to be addressed - I think covering up with planting is nicer - as you say keeping paint maintained is hard. I already see I have an ongoing job with the fence that the original owner put up. I'm reasonably green fingered when I have garden at planting stage but getting it there is my big challenge now.

The patio doors are new - originally there was just windows in that wall as the extension was built for a bedroom which I have changed into a large kitchen living. A patio would be lovely to step out onto.

I'm definitely willing to put in some hard work to complete the job and I'm pretty ok with a spade but sadly I'm not confident in my knowledge around what and how it needs to be done.

• Related Discussions

Hallway colour

Q

Comments (6)
    thank you all for your comments. @Julie I forgot to mention that the children's art wall will be a mirror soon now that there won't be little hand prints all over it. This may bounce some light around. I was thinking of a warm sagey green which would work well with the oak wood but I need some drama!! It's funny looking at the pictures totally gives you a different perspective of the room. I now think I need to paint the front door in a pale color... @Judy I like the shade secluded beach def dont want blue - the tester pots were nothing like the shade on the charts... @Christine def agree re pops of color - baby's feet are going into another room. @ pcmom yellow would definitely brighten it up
    ...See More

Need help for my tiny rented bedroom!!

Q

Comments (4)
    Thanks! Yeah I tried to rotate the bed so the headboard would be opposite the radiator but it meant the wardrobe doors wouldn't open. I may need to change the bed frame to include storage space alright but it would need to add height not width which is tricky to find ready made. I like the idea of a loft bed but since it's rented I don't think I could really do anything that involves attaching to walls...
    ...See More

Hi there , looking at house with north east facing garden, has anyone

Q

Comments (327)
    How will you pose for your Miss Photogenic photo op? Will you go with the Carmen Miranda fruit bowl tiara? Or would the Easter egg thingamadooeys suffice? Decisions, decisions..... Maybe Grover could photo shop each one with your dress so we can decide? We wouldn't want to break any decorating rules because we do have our reputations to uphold. LOLOLOLOLOL
    ...See More

Front garden space

Q

Comments (7)
    I agree re Skimmia, also look at Daphne odora and Sarcococca (both have fantastic scent), Viburnum davidii, Hellebores for early flowers and Astrantia and Geraniums for summer colour. Improve the soil before planting by adding loads of rich compost or rotted horse manure.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Harrod Horticultural
    5 years ago

Trellis or a trellis planter could also help to hide the back walls once planting is established if you buy mature plants from a garden centre

Metal Garden Wall Trellis Panels - Steel Rod Lattice ARC-398 · More Info

Steel Rod Lattice Wall Trellis Panels ARC-399 · More Info

Harrod Trellis Growing Frames 25mm Square Posts ARC-689 · More Info

Harrod Horticultural

• Sonia
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

That wall would look lovely with climbing plants. Climbing hydrangea (white flowers) is good in a shady garden and it has suckers which cling to the wall so doesn’t need trellis. It is slow growing though. If you want to attach some trellis or wires to the wall, then there are a few climbers that will suit. Climbing roses are pretty, as is Clematis. Clematis Montana is very vigorous and scrambles all over, but looks stunning in May (pink or white flowers). Wisteria is stunning, but needs sun and strong support as it can get big and heavy. Honeysuckle are a lovely, sweet scented climber. Obviously they will need to planted in the ground so all that concrete is a problem. Large pots are an alternative but will need watering a lot in the summer.

i was wondering whether laying composite decking might be a good option, so that you don’t have to dig up all that concrete? You could have a deck area attached to the back of the house and then another area over the concrete with the climbers behind. If you are willing to get the concrete removed, then that will give you more options and the climbers can be planted in the ground, which they much prefer.

COMPOSITE DECKING

CLIMBING HYDRANGEA

CLEMATIS MONTANA RUBRA

HONEYSUCKLE (LONICERA)

• Cc
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Some lovely suggestions there forzaitalia - climbers would be awesome. Thanks for the specific names and options. I have considered that the concrete is posing a challenge - I would rather heavy planting like that to be in the soil directly rather than in planters as less minding is preferred.

The decking is interesting idea - hadn't though of it at all really. I sort of have the feeling that decking requires a lot of upkeep and minding?

• Sonia
    5 years ago
    If it was wooden decking then it can get slippy when wet. Maintenance isn’t huge - occasional sweeping. Painting it does have maintenance issues as the paint soon flakes off and will need rubbing down and repainting regular - bit of a faff! It will also eventually rot but it is relatively cheap. Composite decking doesn’t rot and is quite long lived. All the building suppliers sell it but it is more expensive. Very little maintenance required, just a quick sweep and occasional hose down.

However if you remove the concrete then you can lay some nice paving such as sandstone or porcelain and you have far more options.
  • Emmanuelle
    5 years ago
    A nice blank canvas... and some super advice here which I will follow myself! On the ugly back wall, I would grow some ivy in the ground, in the left corner. It would cover that part of the wall with a thick green layer pretty quickly and cost next to nothing! (zero penny if you take cuttings from another plant!) Lovely mixed with pretty climbers as suggested above...
  • Cc
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@forzaitalia - aaah, now I understand the word composite in the phrase composite decking - never knew such a thing existed. Will take a look when I get out to the stores... thanks for the suggestion.

@rachelmidlands wow. thank you so much. You see I have none of your creativity so I couldn't even think of what I would like to see out there - so your designs are hugely helpful. The shed on the right is a great idea - because it removes from line of sight from my kitchen / living. I would just need to very carefully find one that would suit size wise....the circular lawn one instantly popped at me because it changes the shape of the garden - but that said, those corner benches look really cool - much to think about it.

I'm going to have a good look at over the next week or so and start measuring out things to see what might work. Thanks again! I hope to keep you posted.

• R Hughes
    5 years ago

Start with your budget, what is it? Make a plan, gardening is not an overnight transformation, it takes time but that for many of us is the sheer joy of it. A year of all around plant interest is possible in time. I would spend my budget on getting the basics in place, so decide what you want e.g. do you want a patio and large beds and no grass, or some grass? If your local college has an agricultural course running they might be willing to help you as the students would learn a lot here, maybe ask? What is your soil type e.g. is it heavy clay or sandy? Is it acidic, alkaline or neutral, these facts are deciding factors on whether or not plants will thrive. Look at what plants are thriving in your local area that is a good guide to your soil, e.g. if there are lots of rhododendrons thriving near by then the soil will be acidic. If it were me, I would get it all dug up, lay a patio, add large beds (put in lots of fine bark compost), and no grass, just gravel. Work with your site, right plant right place is a mantra for a very good reason (!), there is no point planting sun loving plants if you get little sun so do your research on plants that thrive in shade, one good website is Plantsforshade. I would add lots of trellis to grow climbers as they will give you height and trick the eye into making your garden appear bigger, climbing hydrangeas, star jasmine ( for scent) some roses but choose carefully. Now draw up a year's plan so you can start planting for all year round colour, take your time and it's not daunting. Add attractive tubs (often on sale on our local Facebook!) and and plant appropriate annuals, there is loads of advice on line. Best of luck.

• R Hughes
    4 years ago
    I took time to respond to this post asking fir help with this garden and am very surprised to not even receive a thank you. If posters ask for help at least have the manners to say thank you!
  • rachelmidlands
    4 years ago
    @R Hughes, don’t be disheartened if the original poster doesn’t respond to your comments. Half the time I don’t get notifications thru email from Houzz, just a matter of checking every now and again. I’m just as passionate about gardening as well as design, even tho I’m not a professional, but I think your advice is extremely good. Think of it this way, you’re not just giving advice for the poster but for anyone else who may happen to read this thread.
  • Sonia
    4 years ago

@R Hughes, Rachel is right. Lately i‘ve not received notifications from Houzz so you just don’t know who is commenting on your posts, you have to keep checking. Don’t take it personally, you have made some great and very helpful comments.

• R Hughes
    4 years ago

Thank you Rachel and Forzaitalia, I can assure you I am not taking this personally, my comment is about people who ask for help and then do not thank contributors which I have seen on Houzz a few times now and someone a couple of weeks ago made a similar point to the one I am now making. My experience (albeit it limited with Houzz) is that if you turn on notifications then you will receive them, anyway, I have made my point!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.