lupin_3

Small Living Space

R C
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I currently relocated for work and I found a small living space approximately 150sqft of usable space not including the washrooms which are shower combined. It is separated into 2 rooms in which I plan for a bedroom and a living room so that puts it approximately 75sqft for each room, not including washroom, both rooms have its own washroom, a total of 2. I don't plan on installing a stove or any other major appliances. Since eating out is most convenient in that area, I just plan on using a portable electric cooktop and a miniature fridge when necessary. If anyone can provide me with some ideas as to how I should do the interior design to make it look roomy and within budget, it would be most appreciated. I can provide the revit file if any architects or interior designers are interested. Please fire away any ideas or suggestions you might have, every little idea helps. Thanks for it all. Cheers.

Comments (33)

• R C
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here's the approximate lengths and widths, I will be getting more accurate measurements later. No knocking around, just decor. I am hoping to be within $3k USD. So nothing fancy. The left room is bedroom, the right room is the living room since sunlight is on that side. Ceiling is approximately 8ft high.

• Related Discussions

My Small Space

Q

Comments (11)
    hello, instead of a sofa.....maybe try 2 big cushiony chairs and a shared ottoman that can double as a coffee table/facing each other in front of the fireplace? This is a small space, lets accept that. Moving into the kitchen you can have a table with chairs and in the event you have a party, people can sit for the meal and hang in the kitchen. I like small spaces, it forces a creativity and the need for utility in design, and less room for clutter!
    ...See More

Paint ideas living space

Q

Comments (13)
    I'd paint white the TV wall in oder to make it visually higher and to hide the white color of the door, now the dark color under lines that it is rather low and different from two main doors color and height of third one. I like brown FP wall, it works good with sofas and will attract eyes visually raising the ceiling above TV furniture. And one more thing I'd think about: the 1-st photo shows that there are too much unconnected different heights (doors, mirror, TV furniture, FP wall, ceiling). Definitely some heights are needed to be connected. I'd put lower the mirror and the shelf above FP so that the TV furniture and the mirror up lines were the same height. To bring more colors into the room as it was mentioned above I'd pick up some colors from the art work for cushions and curtains.
    ...See More

Bathroom vanity unit too small for space

Q

Comments (5)
    If it was me, I would centre it and only silicone the back. I understand your concerns about water going down the side. Realistically, though, as you will only be washing your hands and maybe teeth in it, there is unlikely to be much water gushing about. To detract from the fact there is not as much space on either side of sink, I would have carpenter either wall mount or put legs on the cabinet so there is space underneath and the unit doesn't look too chunky!
    ...See More

Large 1970s internal refurb to open plan, larger living spaces

Q

Comments (2)
    Another option that I was thinking of, knock the internal glass walls of the conservatory and make the hall smaller - this leaves a very large open plan space (9m x 6.4m) but I have no idea how best a space like this could be used?? Can anyone give me their thoughts here? Need to move if I am to make an offer
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Marina Drobot at Cinnamon Space
    4 years ago

Hi, accurate measurements are very important in a small space like that. i didn't understand the "sink" in both spaces: how big is a sink and what is in the bathrooms? are the toilets in both spaces? would that be possible to convert one of the bathrooms into a closet or kitchen.

here are some ideas and pointers to take into the consideration:

- use as much wall space as you have for storage. if it is possible use the space behind and above the door.

- put some shelves behind the headboard to put the light, alarms, phones, laptops, books etc.

- where possible get plants. plants will purify the air in a small space and will brighten up the interior. put some plants on the railings on the balcony.

- you will need some kind of a bit of a kitchen space even when eating out: to put a kettle and a toaster, microwave. built in option is better to hide the appliances and streamline the look. Ikea does small appliances and cabinets, you might be able to get and install it yourself.

- get a standard size (Ikea 140cm) double bed with an underneath storage.

- curtains and blinds is a good combination on the windows to control the light and to soften the look. go for lightweight curtains, translucent voile and blockout blind.

- you may be able to install a tall cabinet to hide the sink in the bedroom. that way, you'd still be able to use the sink and will have space to put your toiletries and clothes in.

- get a chaise longue instead of trying to fit a sofa. it's as comfortable as sofa but smaller and better them a armchair with a footstool.

• R C
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    the bathroom has a toilet bowl but also a shower head like those Japanese style bathrooms. the sink is located outside the bathroom. it is a tiny sink that is half size of a regular American style sink. I will be getting more accurate measures in the following weeks. I will create a Revit model so it shows a better picture of dimensions and the actual space. I am working under a tight budget so I am trying to keep the decor to a minimum. however with small spaces like this I will be looking at small size storage furniture and furniture with multipurpose, ex. coffee table that can transform to a dining table. like you said I will be looking for a storage bed frame as well. I was hoping to fit a reasonable size bed, a small closet and a small laptop table in the bedroom. the living room with a tall shelve and 4 storage accent chairs which I can push together as a couch or separate it as chairs for guess.
  • R C
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    I know small spaces is a big challenge. especially when trying to make it look spacious. everyone's comments and suggestions are most appreciated.
  • Carolina
    4 years ago

I really like Marina's ideas.

• jessa61
    4 years ago

agreed, they really are very clever!

• PRO
    4 years ago

For the living room, i suggest to not use the bathroom as a bathroom but as a storage and fridge space. that way you'd be able to create a nice sitting area in the further corner. i would get 4 large (70cmx70cmx20cm) floor cushions like Moroccan floor sofas or French mattress floor cushions. they can be purchased or locally made on order. you can also make them yourself, there are lots of videos on youtube. these cushions are very comfortable and versatile. it is easy to move them around depending on the need. 4 cushions would make a nice floor chaise-lounge for one, a lovely snug for two or a guest bed in a matter of seconds. they can be easily removed from the living space to the bedroom if the room is needed for a table.

you can make a tv bench / desk / dining table by getting two sets of Ikea table legs (cut one set to 55 cm), desk top (cut in half and add two hinges).

this way you'll have a slim bench to keep under the tv and use it as a desk or occasional writing table. and another set of legs use if you ever need to make a dining table (tbh, i don't think you can fit more then two people in the space though). get 4x Ikea HOL side tables as a storage and occasional stool. they are quite sturdy and can fit a lot of stuff. put two of them under the tv bench, one under the wall mounted folding table in the kitchen area and one use as a side table in the

• R C
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have finally got accurate measurements for my new place. The drainage duct is a little of a problem since I don't want to waste that space. I will not be taking any walls down, just putting in furnitures and decor within reasonable budget. Most likely will be shopping in IKEA. Please take a look and see if these new measurements will alter the previous suggested design. Again thanks for all your help. Also, I am not quite sure how I can upload a revit file on to the comment section. If anyone knows how, please comment. Thank you.

• PRO
    4 years ago

Yes, it’s definitely bigger. Let me come back to you. I have few ideas. I’ll use Ikea furniture. It’s easier. Are you handy? Can you do some diy, like putting the furniture together or, putting up shelves and staff? Someone else may have some ideas too. you could try to upload the revit file on google docs and attach the link in your comments. Maybe it’s good to change the topic to design dilemma for more people to see.

• PRO
    4 years ago

do you know how high is the window from the floor, how high is the drainage pipe housing? is there any radiator/central heating?

• R C
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am definitely putting together the Ikea furnitures myself. I will include section views so the window heights are more clear.

• PRO
    4 years ago

Here comes the bedroom. If you like it I will send you the shopping list. All Ikea items and comes to £1073.60. A bit over budget per room.

• PRO
    4 years ago

Sliding doors wardrobe save the space, foldable tables aka desk allows access to the wardrobe and drawers under bed. One side if the wardrobe is easily accessed all the time for everyday use, the second part can be used to store seasonal clothes and accessed when the desk is folded. All measurements are accurately taken into consideration. However depending on the condition of the walls and floors some pieces like the table or wall cabinet might need a bit of trimming to make a built in feeling. It should not be a problem to any general builder or diy enthusiast.

• R C
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Please send me the shopping list. The room looks great. How were you able to find furnitures to avoid the drainage duct?

• PRO
    4 years ago

i have tried to share the shopping list wit the links to the page. try to to this link and let me know if its working: IKEA shopping list for the bedroom

• PRO
    4 years ago

the furniture works as a built in solution and is installed around the drainage duct:

the bed is the most challenging part, but doable and totally worth it. you can see some great ideas and tips on how to build a storage bed: https://www.ikeahackers.net/?s=storage+bed .

you have a 193cm space available on the far side of the room next to the bathroom. a standard bed is 200cm-210 long. however a standard mattress is 190cm long. you can build a single raised storage bed to utilise that space and maximize storage:

the desk is made of two wall mounted foldable NORBERG tables and attached to the wall (window permits) above the drainage duct:

the wardrobe is installed next to the drainage duct. the space between the wall and the wardrobe is used for a shelving unit to put the books and papers:

Desenio.com does really nice prints Selected prints

• R C
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The link doesn't seem to work.

• PRO
  • PRO
    4 years ago

I’m still working on the living space.

• Carolina
    4 years ago

Wow, Marina. You're very generous with your time :-)

• R C
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Marina,

I just want to say thanks for your help. I really appreciate it. I have follow your design for my room. The only problem is the blinds and table. Ikea does not carry 2m long blinds and the table only have 1 support and they do not sell standalone support. I want to wall mounted table to have 2 support so it can support a laptop and a monitor. I am thinking of using curtains instead of blinds, what do you think?

• PRO
    4 years ago

I’m really happy that you like it and that I’m able to help you.

You can use two blinds Or order made to measure from a local blind maker or online. Curtains are good too. You need to cut them, cause they come in 3m length. And your bed will be from wall to wall.
    Those table are quite sturdy with one support. We had one in the kitchen for years. Someone leaned (literally sat) on it accidentally and the piece of plasterboard wall came off, but support did not gave in. Do you have enough height under the Window for the wall mounted table?

You can can put a desk . Ikea desk tops and legs come separate and easily dismantled for storage. https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/desks/table-tops-legs/

• PRO
    4 years ago

Hi, got an idea for your couch combination. let me know if you like it.

• R C
    Original Author
    4 years ago

this is quite awesome, is this Ikea furniture?

• PRO
    4 years ago

Yes, it is Valentuna modular sofa. this is seats with storage combination. they also have a module with a sofa bed., if you prefer that instead: https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/search/?k=VALLENTUNA

• PRO
    4 years ago

Here comes the living / dining / kitchen room. bit over budget about £1500. this without the fridge, microwave, kettle and toaster

let me know if you like it. i will post the shopping list and explanation.

• R C
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I really like the design but it will need to be reverse. where the sofa needs to be on the side of the tv and tv needs to be on the side of the sofa. there is a tv cabinet the landlord wants to keep in the apartment so the tv will be put on top of that. besides for that everything looks good. also I want to have coffee table that rises up to be a dining table. I am planning to use a green carpet to have more of a natural feel. if possible I want the other furnitures in the living room to be more natural. so I would say more of a wooden design for furnitures.

• PRO
    4 years ago

Hi RC, Looking at the plan, if you put the sofa on the kitchen side, it looks like you’d have a problem accessing the door in the window/ balcony and will be more difficult manoeuvre in the room.

How big is the landlords cabinet? Ikea doesn’t really have a rising coffee table. Do you have one in mind?

• R C
    Original Author
    4 years ago

i won't be accessing the balcony all that much and the door to the balcony is a folded door that pushes outward to open so I can still access if i need or just move the seats out of the way since is 4 separate chairs.

the landlords cabinet is approximately 49cmX183cmX89cm, I plan to cover it with a tapestry.

here's a table I would prefer since is compact and changeable to a dining table. but I'm still looking for one that is the right price.

• Sam Potter
    4 years ago

Marina your ideas for this space are awesome. How do I go about hiring you to create a similar plan for a tiny bedroom used by a PhD student (who is often studying in her room 18hrs a day)?

• PRO
    4 years ago

Hi R C do you have a picture of the existing cabinet by any chance and do you have a tapestry in mind.

I am looking for the similar coffee table (they are not cheap). There isn’t Tay much space for a coffee table tbh. I’d rather go for a side table which converts to dining table.

It would really help to see the landlords cabinet, it sounds they it is quite a big piece of furniture. Do you have any pictures of the actual place at all.

• R C
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I will see if I can ask the landlord to take a picture for me. from what he described is a red wood cabinet, the cabinet doors are broken. it is 183cm long, 49cm width and 89cm height. I think he just wants to keep it because is of some value to him. I was just thinking of a grey and white tapestry of a nature view. like the one below.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.