mike_j8

Please help me decide on my lounge / diner / kitchen layout

Mike F
5 years ago

Hello,

We are in the midst of buiding work at the moment but haven't yet gone firm on the final layout. I really need to do this in the next couple of days as the builder is wanting to know where root lights and gas supply should be. And it is clear that everything is inter-related. Massive case of decision paralysis.

In short, we live in a 1930's semi-detatched house in the UK. We are knocking the old kitchen and dining room (at the rear of the house) into one, and adding a 6m extension to form one approx 10m x 6m room. We want a pantry and utility room - although the latter is really just a place to stash the washing machine.

I've spent some time thinking about the kitchen. It probably isn't perfect and you might think it is awful - but I'm relatively happy with how it. One of the reasons we have the hob on the island is that putting it on the side wall would mean it going where an unmovable support pillar is. Grateful for any advice on the current design.

My real problem is what to do with the rest of the space. I know we want a large dining table, sofa, quite a lot of bookshelves, a desk and a TV. We also want a bit of space for the kids to play. Exactly what we decide for the layout will have significant implications for where we put the roof lights. Naturally we want them close to the dark bit of the house so some light will shine in - there are bifold doors at the other end.

Two pictures attached, the latter is just one of many many attempts that I've made. Would be very grateful for any help. If anyone has any strong views for instance as to where makes best sense for the dining table - that would be a good start.

Thanks!

Comments (15)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.