keswing

Open Plan - Flooring help

keswing
6 years ago

We're in the early stages of our search for flooring for our open plan kitchen, dining and living area, we've always assumed we'd have light oak engineered wood flooring throughout, however i'm now wondering if this really is the best solution for us. We have a dog and an 8 year old boy so the flooring needs to be quite hard wearing, forgiving, and not too slippy. Do you think engineered flooring is suitable? I've read a bit about LVT which sounds indestructible but I'm guessing this a more expensive option?

We're also now questioning whether we should have different flooring in the kitchen, or kitchen and dining room, or kitchen and living room. However, as the kitchen sits between the dining and living space i'm concerned different flooring will break up the flow and make the spaces seem smaller. I'd love to hear what others think. I've attached a mock up of the space to show the position of the kitchen.

We plan on using the same slate in the new utility and porch as we currently have in our hallway in order to avoid too many changes in flooring. I had considered continuing the slate into the kitchen as well but think perhaps it would be too cold underfoot (we're not having underfloor heating) and also visually. Again, would love your views on this? The slate tile we have is indus deark grey from B&Q.

Comments (6)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.