eehchristie

Joint between worktops and a slide-in cooker - minimise dirt trap

eehchristie
8 years ago

Wondering what solutions people have found to deal with the joint between worktops and a slide-in cooker.

I will be moving to a new house soon. I will completely redesign the kitchen and it will have granite worktops. The ceramic topped range style cooker comes with the house and I have decided to keep it as it is in immaculate condition. I have only ever had inset hobs before which limit the dirt traps. It seems to me that the potential for all sorts of debris to get down the back of a slide-in cooker is enormous - and indeed the sides. Yuk! As it is installed at the moment, it is not even level with the existing laminate worktop

What installation/design solutions work for Houzzers to minimise dirt? Photos would be a great help. Sorry about the quality of my photo.

Comments (9)

• rollinggirl
    8 years ago

I'd love to find a better solution myself. I've just pulled mine out regularly to scrub the whole thing. Our new kitchen won't have one.

• eehchristie
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Good to know. If there are more comments like yours I might just reconsider ;) Thanks

• rollinggirl
    8 years ago

No problem.

• sunnydrew
    8 years ago
    You should be able to raise the range slightly with the leveling legs on the bottom.
    I have seen plastic devices that fit in the crack along side the range/counter and provide a flat "bridge". Not sure where to find, but you could search around.
    I usually just take a long thin knife covered in a damp paper towel to get any drips. If you do it regularly as you are cooking, how much stuff can really get in there?
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 years ago

Those plastic things are just plain tacky looking I just pull mine out when doing a more thorough kitchen clean.

• eehchristie
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks. I agree. Don't see that a plastic strip would go with granite.

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    8 years ago

Every manufacturer that I know of in the U.S. makes a metal piece to cover the space in the back of a true slide in range. If you are having new countertops installed, then you would have a piece of countertop cut for behind a slide in range and install a support piece for it to sit on (2x4 nailed onto the wall). Then it looks continuous around it. I have never seen a true slide in range that didn't have a lip on each side and the back that is supposed to sit on top of the surrounding counters and close up any gaps. Makes me wonder if the cabinets or countertops in this kitchen were raised for some reason so that they are higher than the range. Ranges have adjustable legs, but they can only adjust so far.

• eehchristie
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I am sure the levels in the existing kitchen were just a poor job. Thanks for the tip. Not sure what suppliers in England do - never had a range

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.