anne_ticehurst64

How to transform pine newels into something contemporary/industrial

A T
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Our new staircase came as part of a loft conversion package, and we had limited design input. We chose sapele hardwood treads and risers, but the staircase arrived with huge pine newels that we're struggling to decide what to do with. We've had steel balustrades made, based on a previous home but designed to meet current building regs (perforated steel to stop children climbing). These have just been fitted and will have plain sapele handrails fitted on top. Photos are attached. The treads are still covered, and the wood will be sanded and finished after the builders leave. But we still don't know what to do with the newels, as they now stand out even more.

They're square, which I like, and they could be painted black, or white (we're fairly monochrome), but I'm worried they'll still stand out too much - in which case maybe I should make a feature out of them? I'm playing with the idea of corten-style paint, or something else that makes them look metallic. I don't know if they can be clad, or have any other kind of surface applied. I'm not very handy and I don't know what materials are out there in the market.

I'm looking for something fairly easy to source and apply, due to renovation fatigue. I don't mind paying someone to do something, but I don't want to confuse them with weird ideas or have to take everything down and start again.

final stairs · More Info

final stairs · More Info

Comments (6)

• Daisy England
    4 years ago

I also think you should blend them in by painting them black. Making them a contrast will make them stand out too much and I don’t think this is the look you’re hoping to achieve.

A T thanked Daisy England
  • A T
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, I think you're both right. The more I look at it, the less problematic it seems. Posting on this forum is very therapeutic.

• Patrina
    4 years ago
    Definately would paint it black
    A T thanked Patrina
  • Sonia
    4 years ago

Another vote for painting them black. They will then seamlessly blend in with the the rest of the staircase.

A T thanked Sonia
  • Carolina
    4 years ago
    Black is my vote too. Love the metal!
    A T thanked Carolina
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.