darrenally01

How do we update our 70s orange-brick Brady Bunch house?

Darren Ally
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi everyone, my wife and I have just this 70's house and would love some advice on how to update it. We are keeping the bricks but would love some input on colours to go with the Orange brick for the garage, front door, balustrades on the balcony and the windows. We are replacing the Balustrades as well so any advice on a style and look for the Balustrades would be appreciated as well! In fact - any ideas for the front to update while keeping with the overall 70's vibe would be greatly appreciated.

This is Nelson. He needs a new look. Please help Nelson.

Comments (25)

• User
    5 years ago

I think white is the only colour that works well with orange. However, you could go for a black or a light greenish blue as shown below...

For the Balustrades, these could work well...

Darren Ally thanked User
  • Darren Ally
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wow! What fantastic advice guys - thank you so much. I am thinking white might be good - but black seems a bold choice - really got me thinking - which is why I posted - so greatly appreciated! Julie and bdesigneurope!

5 years ago
    I also think black. It would look great.
    Darren Ally thanked 94236633
  • Darren Ally
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm thinking Black too. My wife thinks its too stark - but it will modernise the fascade and look crisp and pretty cool. Is it too modern though?

• julie herbert
    5 years ago
    Ooh no!! It will look fabulous and change and update your house beautifully.
    Darren Ally thanked julie herbert
  • JE C
    5 years ago
    I agree black - not stark just smart. The red/orange will keep it looking warm. Nice house.
    Darren Ally thanked JE C
  • PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    5 years ago

Your brickwork has a lot of life, colour and charm to it, so I am pleased you are not planning to render or paint it. However, some of the paint colours such as the cream and red/brown are not original and were probably added during the late 1970's/early 1980's which is why they don't really work. I would be looking to celebrate the original period of the house, and not be trying to update it with contemporary, fashionable colours of today, as you will be repeating the mistakes of the last painter, by trying to "modernise" it, and ending up with a compromised result (and looking like every house that has been modernised in recent years).

Homes of this period always had window frames and trim painted in white, and in my experience, Dulux Vivid White is the best. Pale teals and light blue/greens complement your brickwork and will counterbalance the orange. If you need help with sourcing the current equivalent colours that were used in the paint manufacturers colour cards of the 1950's and 1960's please do not hesitate to contact me directly for a consultation,

Regards

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

Darren Ally thanked Dr Retro House Calls
  • Darren Ally
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Dr Retro, thank you for this wonderful feedback. I am worried that the clash of the modern will betray the character and soul of the house - this is the solution - some white trim and some blue . grey's perhaps? I might take you up on that consultation! Thanks so much, from Sydney, Australia!

• juliahocking
    5 years ago

Darren

Your locale will determine your colour choice - Aussie sunlight is strong and can handle colour

Perhaps charcoal, like Porter's 'Arabian Nights' would give the depth of black without the heaviness

Black & white are lovely together Hope you go with that

Consider an orange front door just for fun!! Porter's 'Lava' or 'Tuscan Sun' are both lovely, but don't take themselves too seriously Perhaps some plant pots in similar colours

Enjoy

• Darren Ally
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Julia! That is wonderful advice regarding colours. I think we should commit to the 70's vibe and go the orange door! Lovely recommendations.

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

Definitely just re-painting all the trim in a contemporary paint colour, maybe looking into a new front door and new fabric awnings in a beautiful outdoor fabric, it could look so charming. Please contact me directly if you would like help with your selections. I would steer clear of orange paint as it will just draw attention to the orange brick!

Darren Ally thanked User
  • juliahocking
    5 years ago

Lynne

I guess it depends on the orange chosen!! There are so many to choose from, I think one will suit the situation here

Darren Ally thanked juliahocking
  • Darren Ally
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you, Lynne, Love the idea of an outdoor fabric for the awnings. We might be in touch.

• cloudpants
    5 years ago

When Dr Retro (very respected Houzz contributor) mentioned those colours I could not picture them, so I did some googling and found this pic, which made the idea very clear to me.
    https://retrorenovation.com/2014/01/08/exterior-paint-colors-brick-ranch-house/
    I found the article very interesting. Gotta just love Houzz for all the learning it leads to, besides many other reasons! PS Thanks again Dr Retro.

Darren Ally thanked cloudpants
  • KK1000
    5 years ago
    I would not replace balustrade unless you want a glass one, but I would replace gutters to match your roof so either black or charcoal. Paint the window frames in the same colour and replace front door and remove hand rail in front of the door. If the garage door is in good condition repaint it in a lighter shade of grey. Awnings need update as well you could go for B&W stripes or black and grey, white and grey?? I am so glad you don’t want to paint the bricks. Maybe update outdoor lighting and add a large black pot with red geraniums or something flowering in front next to the front door.
    Darren Ally thanked KK1000
  • KK1000
    5 years ago
    When you remove hand rail you might need to add a step in front for easier entry and tile it , you could use same tiles for the balcony.
    Darren Ally thanked KK1000
  • Linda W
    5 years ago

Love your house and the front door is just fab! The suggestion of blue/teal would be great against the orange bricks. If you want a more period appropriate balustrade how about a diamond pattern to reflect the door, or a zig zag?

Darren Ally thanked Linda W
  • PRO
    3DA Design Drafting and 3D Visuals
    5 years ago
    Love the brick
    Hate the awning
    Hate the fascia colour

Go with Black or Antique Green or Indigo?
    Darren Ally thanked 3DA Design Drafting and 3D Visuals
  • User
    5 years ago

There's some great ideas there .

The first thing that stands out is that pipe handrail downstairs -- I hate them with a vengence . Remove it , extend the step to fill the space , with 1 or maybe 2 small full-width steps . Just me , I'd do in charcol or black non-glossy 400 x 400 tiles .

Most of the windows are black framed , and look okay in my opinion . Paint the upstairs balistrade in black or charcoal -- will tie it in and even though the style is dated , I don't think it would matter -- it would then look like part of the overall concept .

I like the English White of the front door , but here's where I'd get colourful -- do the door jamb and the diamonds in the brightest citrus orange you can , and then carry it to the garage door ! The garage door surround ( including the 3 window surrounds above it ) I would paint in charcoal or black .

And here's probably the most controversial part -- leave the awnings , but also paint them in Citrus Orange , with the ridges on them in a beige , maybe veering towards an apricot ! This will really lift everything visually IMO , the orange brick will tie in and bland in without looking overdone , the Bright Orange and mainly charcoal or black is modern but not too modern , with the English White door breaking everything while still having Bright Ornage to tie it all in .

There looks to be a Butterscotch Orange gate to the left of the house -- obviously , you would repaint that in the brighter orange too , to look cohesive , but you already see how it looks more exciting than the Burgundy Red existing colours .

Which leaves 1 thing I don't like the colour of -- the top fascia board or gutter . I suspect Vitamin C Orange would be too much , so probably play it safe , and go either charcoal , or a lighter greeny/grey to match the roof tiles .

Probably not what everyone would do -- but that's what I would do with that pallette !

• Lynette Ludbrook
    5 years ago

Treasure it! 60s and 70s houses are becoming hard to get and should start to get heritage listed. if we have a fine example. Yours looks like a fine example. I love my 60s triple fronted brick veneer. Groovy pale muticolured bricks with tones of olive orange and brown in them, unlike your orange.
    Keep the awnings. Furnish it with pieces from the era and you will have one cool house. You can also put it forward as a potential film set and get very well paid for the privillege with any historically accurate home. Get advice on colours of the day and it will really work. The wrought iron on the balcony should be painted white for historical accuracy! I have it too! Don't mutilate this gem of an era with trendy updates that could ultimately loose it's value for the sake of current fashions and trends! It is a truly beautiful home as it is. Save yourself the money and stress!

Keep it true to the home it was designed to be. I am with Dr Decor! Maybe an olive green would be more of the era than a teal for the front and garage doors!

Darren Ally thanked Lynette Ludbrook
  • Caro
    5 years ago

I love your house! I would go with Dr Retro and celebrate the house's original intentions. Those pastel colours and vivid white plus exposed bricks are actually the height of design/ fashion at the moment anyway..

Darren Ally thanked Caro
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

Great house, what is the actual colour of the windows? Black &White with red brick is a classic ageless combination you could paint the front door aqua which is a suitable period color perhaps even the garage door. If your house gets a lot of sun onto the front facade you could keep the old shades and paint them or replace with new fabric, the first option would be the most affordable

The current balustrade would be an illegal height today so if you plan on keeping the iron you will need to add an additional rail above in either iron or timber to make it safe. cheers

Darren Ally thanked siriuskey
  • Jennifer Bradley
    5 years ago

There are a lot of similar houses around here. I think, from seeing others update, that a couple of things work best. One is to match your garage door to your bricks and the awnings, to minimise the number of different colours. Depending on where this is, my other preference is for everything other than the brick in a warm beige, with, given the bricks, a slight terracotta tinge.

• PRO
    Nelson Interior Stylists
    5 years ago

Hi there i found this image that shows a great way to modernise

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.