sarahspence_93

Ground floor flat - side return and rear extension. Why the courtyard?

sarahspence_93
4 years ago

Hi, would love some suggestions and help please!

I want to go ahead with a side return and rear extension into the garden, on my ground floor flat in SW London.

Firstly, does anyone have suggestions to avoid the courtyard which all these conversions seem to have. I understand its so the second bedroom has a window - however is it not possible to move the window higher up? Or add a sky light? Are there other reasons people avoid this - drainage etc?

Additionally, I would ideally like 2 bedroom, 2 bath. One ensuite, and one additional bathroom or happy with just a WC by the kitchen. Do people have suggestions on how they would configure this?

Many thanks for your help.

Comments (11)

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

Can you post a plan with the room sizes, window placements etc. Most people do avoid the courtyards for exactly the reasons you mention above, the window, the drainage etc

• Jonathan
    4 years ago
    Courtyard- often the cost of moving drains is prohibitively high and a courtyard does get light in to the center of your home and lots of people don’t like high up window in a bedroom plus they have to be a certain size for regulations that often doesn’t fit the available space. Personally I love them.

Separately- do you need to extend? Your stated aim seems to be an extra bathroom. Could you put one under the stairs and move the kitchen access?
  • sarahspence_93
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi, thanks so much for replying.

That makes sense about drainage etc - are there plans available where people have avoided the courtyard? I cant seem to find them anywhere.

Is there not a way of extending the second bedroom out so that the slanted side return light also enters that room (if that makes sense)

And, the bathroom makes sense but I'm extending to increase the kitchen living space.

Thanks!

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

In a flat it's more difficult to get the light source in to the room as you have to mindful of the roof going up too far on the wall and entering your neighbour's space. Please do put your room plan up though.

• sarahspence_93
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I didnt realise the plan hadn't posted - here it is. Thanks

• Jonathan
    4 years ago
    If you are also trying to get a bigger second bedroom consider taking out the chimney breast to make it wider.
  • Jonathan
    4 years ago
    One possible layout
  • minipie
    4 years ago

I thought (but may be wrong) that bedrooms are required by building regs to have a window as a fire escape (So a high window or skylight won’t do). Hence the courtyard.

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

Yes Minipie i think you're right, thus bedroom 2 as I have it or Jonathan will suffice.

sarahspence_93 thanked User
  • sarahspence_93
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks very much everyone for your help!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.