sam_potter37

DIY understairs and pantry

Sam Potter
5 years ago

I've got the day off, some scavenged materials, a bit of cash and access to my boyfriend and his car. What could possibly go wrong? On second thoughts some inspirational tips would probably be more useful :-) The first few images are ideas of what I'd like. The last three are the grim reality. The scavenged material is a dining table (Barker and Stonehouse so I'm surprised none of it is real wood). There's a bookshelf out there too (still in the back lane) which is made of that crumby particle board stuff, which might come in handy for shelves. I have some bits of mdf (might need to buy more if the table doesn't work out) and I'll buy some framing timber to create some stud partitions to divide the understairs into sections.

Comments (72)

• Jules Mc
    5 years ago
    Ooh you hid that little nugget from us! It's fab
  • Sam Potter
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Today is brought to you by plaster dust, mdf dust and dust dust. The update photo is undramatic but represents a lot of hard work. Nothing is standard or square in this house and each shelf has had to be measured and cut separately. Tomorrow should be good though, putting it all together. What colour do people think I should paint the mdf elements? Nana's pearls like the walls will be?

• minnie101
    5 years ago

The joys of an old house! I would probably keep the interior all the same colour but something different to the walls that makes you smile, just don't go too dark unless you're putting in really good lighting. My husband (finally) had a cupboard made into a wardrobe a couple of weeks ago, he chose a dark colour for the walls, it luckily already had one light in there but he's already moaned that he needs more lighting as he can't see his dark clothes ( I refrained from saying I told you so!)

I can't wait to see the finished larder although I'm also curious on final decisions for the whole kitchen!

• Sam Potter
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks Minnie101! I think you should say I told you so! What do you think of nanas pearls (palest pink) for the shelves and hot pink for the walls?
  • minnie101
    5 years ago

I might save the I told you so for something else where I need some bargaining power!

it would definitely make you smile! Have a look at this (last pic)

https://www.houzz.co.uk/magazine/kitchen-tour-handmade-cabinetry-opens-up-a-cottage-interior-stsetivw-vs~118395288

• Sam Potter
    Original Author
    5 years ago

No more DIY this weekend (bf has gone home and Teenwolf is on). I can't believe I ever thought we'd get the pantry and understairs done in three days. But the pantry is getting there. I'll add more photos when it's finished. And I've done some research on heavy duty runners, so I can put together a more realistic budget for the understairs. We also started to put numbers on the front door. Any recommendations on colour for them?

• rinked
    5 years ago

That big? Ooomph.. I'd say two shades darker yellow, a bit of gold? (Personally I think it's a gorgeous door you shouldn't paint huge numbers on.. If you want big, get some foil and stick it on the glass above)

• Jules Mc
    5 years ago
    Wow has he drawn that freehand. Fab!
    My first thought was black to match the handle bit I think I like it quite subtle and so black might be too harsh. What about starting light grey and seeing if you need it any bolder?
  • Sam Potter
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Rinq, yup, that big ;-) Darker yellow is a good call though. I thought maybe that, or black. Jules Mc, we used a projector and drew round the outline in pencil. We'll colour it in once I've decided which one to use.
  • Patrina
    5 years ago

Great going sam looks fab. Reference the door number, I think putting it on the glass above the door is a great idea. Your door is so pristine it would be a shame put the number on to it.

• Sam Potter
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Patrina, the number is definitely going to dominate the door. And I'm starting to think a subtle slightly darker yellow is the way to go with it, to avoid it dominating the house frontage as a whole. But I like the idea of it seeming 'too big' for the door.
  • Carolina
    5 years ago

Owkayyy, well, if you're certain, how about white for the numbers.

• Sam Potter
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Carolina, I hadn't thought of white. That might look good. Or maybe the same very pale grey as the stonework? Right, hangover is under control. Back to the pantry.
  • minnie101
    5 years ago

I think I would go subtle with a deeper yellow so it looks how it's projected ATM. I do quite like the idea but it reminds me of something which i can't think of atm hence the subtlety!

So anything to do with preparing something for painting isn't my thing but What/how are you painting the numbers on with? Will it adhere to the surface properly? If it were me I would probably make a huge mess of my nicely painted door! I'm pretty confident at cutting in but that looks pretty tricky as it feels as if it should be done in one brushstroke?!

• Sam Potter
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Minnie 101, I'll use a thin artist's brush to paint a line round the edges, then colour it in.
  • rinked
    5 years ago

Just the outline in white would be very subtle too.

• Sam Potter
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Rinq, subtle? True, but brass paint would be funkier...
  • Sam Potter
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oof. DIY takes SO long. Here's the end of the Easter weekend update: Top cupboard for camping equipment created from scaffold boards for the shelf, a cut down old door and some (mismatching) architrave. Pantry shelves all installed and painted. Light fitting (which will switch on automatically when the door is open) partially installed by my super fantastic bf who should've been concentrating on a uni assignment- thanks Daz!
    Up next: Osmo the pine 'worktop' shelf. Paint the back of the pantry door a bright colour. Fill the gaps round the top cupboard and architrave. The external woodwork painting might not happen until I paint the whole kitchen.
    I spent around £150 on materials for the whole thing (£60 of which was for the Ikea drawers and sliding basket). I discovered mdf costs more than I thought, and that you can't have too many screws, rawl (wall?) plugs and drill bits.
    My favourite bits are the long thin spaces either side of the drawers, for vertical storage of cutting boards and baking trays.
    And the black/pink colour scheme - if you're reading this Jonathan thanks for the suggestion, I'll be taking it all the way round the room eventually.

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

Looking bloody great and so enjoying the updates, keep us posted

• Patrina
    4 years ago
    Looking fab Sam I am loving these progress updates
  • Sam Potter
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I know it's not finished but I couldn't resist...
    Plus the runners for the understairs pull-outs arrive tomorrow. I'll start a new discussion to (hopefully) get all your tips for that. No bf for a few weeks while he finishes his uni assignments so things will be even more cack handed than usual on the DIY front!

• Anthony (Beano)
    4 years ago
    That’s Gona look fantastic when it’s all painted! Any colours picked? Love your approach to interior design!
  • Sam Potter
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Thanks Beano! At the moment the plan is to go black for up to worktop height (ie on my home made kitchen units, the sink unit and the dishwasher), leave the worktops natural (they're scaffold boards), apart from the sink unit which has a black quartz top. Then the walls and skirtings/architrave/doors will be Nana's 'knickers' (actually Nana's Pearls), which is the pale peignoir-like pink I've done the inside of the pantry with.
    Soneone in the discussion above suggested a pop of colour inside the pantry which I'm going to do on the back of the door. I love coral but haven't found the right one yet (not too orange, not too pink) , so might go with one of the purply red/pinks from the wing-back chair you can see near the pantry. Whatever colour I choose I'm going to do the kitchen table legs the same colour. Then it's just the glazed built in cupboard to the left of the range, the chairs, the range nook itself and the big ole window surround to think about.
    Colours aren't my forte but I've had heaps of advice on here in various discussions which has helped a lot.
    Nothing n us set in stone though if you have other suggestions.
    Oh and I think I might try and paint a Persian rug on the floor under the kitchen table too, mostly because I can't afford other flooring and because it will disguise the huge, crumbling concrete slab in front of the cooker.
  • Anthony (Beano)
    4 years ago
    Honestly, you do inspire me with the ideas you come up with! I know the sense of achievement when you do come up with an idea and carry it through to the end, coral is right up your street too :-) honeslty can’t wait to see more, still think the half table that you did aginst the wall was a stroke of genius! I first thought, oh no! then it got finished real quick and it was omg, that’s stunning!
  • Sam Potter
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Beano, that's too kind, though the golden thread running through both that console idea and the kitchen colour scheme is Jonathan, off of here. When I tell my bf about a new cunning scheme he invariably asks 'What does Jonathan think?' But everyone hates my big front door number idea so we'll have to see how that turns out :-)
  • Patrina
    4 years ago
    Sam I echo Beano's thoughts you get such a sense of achievement when you make things yourself. I am the kind of girl who asked for a tool kit and belt (In Pink) a few years ago for my birthday and have tackled countless jobs with them since. This year I've been heavily hinting at Ryobi tools. Your project has really inspired me absolutely love it :-)
  • Sam Potter
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    It's fun isn't it Patrina? What's your next project going to be?
  • Gabby Wong
    4 years ago

It looks like it's coming together really well, you deserve to be really proud of all your hard work! Are the holders on the back of the door the ones from Ikea? They look great!

• Sam Potter
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Hi Gabby, thanks! And yes they're IKEA. The door is panelled so I had to take a chunk out of the middle of each one at the back so they sit flat, but I wouldn't let that put you off, it took two minutes with a hammer and chisel.
  • Patrina
    4 years ago
    @ Sam my next project will be my Utility room toyed with it earlier this year but got distracted, hoping get it done by the end of summer :-)
  • Carolina
    4 years ago

Already looks great, Sam!

• Sam Potter
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Patrina ooh do post your progress on here. I love a makeover thread!
  • Patrina
    4 years ago
    Sam will do x
  • E D
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

All looking very promising indeed, Sam.

You mentioned black(board) and other colours for woodwork, forgive me if you have already said, but what colour will you be painting the pantry doors?

• Sam Potter
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    The plan for the outside of the doors, and architrave, is to do them the same colour as the kitchen walls (Nana's pearls-a pale pink similar to dry plaster) , and do the back of the door in coral or aubergine, or similar. Do you have alternative suggestions?
  • kikiamack
    4 years ago
    I think a brightish lime / apple green would be a good contrast with the pale pink and with aubergine. I saw a picture but unhelpfully it won’t copy across. I’ll see if I can find another source.
  • Anthony (Beano)
    4 years ago
    I think navys and coral colours go well together!
  • E D
    4 years ago

Not sure if it needs to be a (colour) feature so I think your idea to do them in the same colour as the wall sounds like a good one.

But nice touch to paint the insides a different colour.

• E D
    4 years ago

Oh and I Iove your painting a rug on the floor idea!

• Sam Potter
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Bit of a zombie thread but I'm genuinely keen to know what you think. Brass paint BTW.

• rinked
    4 years ago

Not subtle at all. That's a compliment. It's you. And your personalised front door. ;) (good color choice btw)

• Sam Potter
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Rinq! And time to confess I chose the font because it reminded me of the TV show Bewitched. I'm named after the lead character and my bf (coincidentally, I didn't pick him for it) was named after her husband. I loved that show as a kid too.

• E D
    4 years ago

Love it.

I feel that after you’ve finished the front garden area as planned it will look great.

• Sam Potter
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    I hope so! Railings are booked for first week in June. New path and planting pocket for hedge is going in mid September, when the landscapers are here to do the back yard.
  • Anthony (Beano)
    4 years ago
    Honestly.....I love it, did when I seen it being stenciled! As said it you, unique is an understatement as is the statement, knock on the door ‘ can you just confirm what number this is?’ Lol

You can be a sheep or you can be the little black one in the car advert! Lol no prizes for which one you are! Lol
  • Jules Mc
    4 years ago
    Unique. Looks fab!
  • Monica
    4 years ago

I love it and I love how brave you are. This is what we should all do make our homes truly be ours !!!

• Carolina
    4 years ago

Very unique, very you and very pretty too. Yep, I like!

• HU-501539826
    4 years ago

Like the understairs storage, very convenient and ingenuous.

• Sam Potter
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Thanks Edouard! You can see progress so far with the drawers on this thread:
    https://www.houzz.co.uk/discussions/under-stairs-drawer-shelves-dsvw-vd~5687266
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.