carolyn_farmer16

Curtain nightmare

Carolyn Farmer
9 years ago
Can anyone help me, these silk curtains are starting to rot badly and need replacing. Want to change the look of the room with new curtains ( obviously not silk again) but feel a bit stuck as the carpet is staying. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm a very in decisive gemini.

Comments (14)

• Kelley Dockrey
    9 years ago
    faux silk might be a solution if you can find a color that coordinates with your rug.
  • Kelley Dockrey
    9 years ago
    have you considered a soft green color for the drapes as a contrast to the color of the carpet?
  • Darzy
    9 years ago

If you want to totally change the look...how about no window treatments and beef up the trim/molding around the windows? It doesn't look like you need light control.

• Evan Rose
    9 years ago

Pottery Barn has great silk drapes that aren't as overpowering as the ones you have. They are gorgeous and look great. They have an assortment of colors as well. Also a simple white cotton will look gorgeous in this room. It will soften the room since you have a lot of dark furniture and accents.

• PRO
    Exeter Handkerchief Company
    9 years ago

Faux silk has come along way and can be a more appropriate material for home owners who live near the ocean and/or have South-Southwest exposure. Atmospheric conditions combined with direct sunlight is the most damaging.

Replacing your panels with another set of silk/faux-silk panels might not provide enough of the design change your looking for. Here are some fabric design solutions that might get you going in a little different direction.... Our fabric sample size is twice the size of an Ipad.

• Carolyn Farmer
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you all so much for the advise, was beginning to get disheartened but with this help I'm gonna put some effort in again, thank you again x
  • gstanlick
    9 years ago

What a beautiful room. I say ditch the drapes all together and enjoy natural light! Cordless blinds are a great way to go, discreet and sit tucked inside your woodwork for when you need them. After some friends lost their 2 year old who got strangled in drape cords, I refuse to have them. My in-laws pleated shades and long cords make me very nervous and they don't look nice either! Good luck

• sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago

go with very simple grommeted curtains. same color as the walls.

• Maureen
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I would change (or paint) the rods brown for a more modern look. With the movement to more casual feeling living rooms, I would use a beautiful linen in an ivory or mocha, but make sure they are lined which will prolong their life.

Betsy Burnham · More Info

• PRO
    Coastal Design
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I agree that you should look into faux silks and possibly choose a simple pleat such as a tack at the top or a single pencil pleat to give them a cleaner appearance. I would also change out your rods to a dark finish and a smaller in diameter. The drapes really give the room a finished look so i would stick with them- just update the fabric and maybe the hardware too! Good luck :-)

• PRO
    Michelle Scott for Ethan Allen - Laguna Niguel, CA
    9 years ago

There are some great synthetics that will still give you a rich look for your drapery. As an economical measure, you can replace the panels, and re-use the hardware, but if you are going to replace the hardware, think about changing the sizing of it, to open up your room, and give a more luxurious look. You can have the rods longer, so that the fabric stacks off the glass - giving you more light, and update the space.

drapery proportion example

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.