jessalyssa

Can't decide on furniture! Please help!!

jessalyssa
9 September, 2014
last modified: 9 September, 2014
Hi I was wondering if someone can help me. I'm trying decide on what type of coffee table, lamp table, lamp, tv cabinet/sideboard and curtains to go for. As you can see the feet of the sofas are very dark wood and I'm not sure if I should just match everything to that, or mix it up a bit. I'm really struggling here!! I want the furniture to be traditional, but also a touch of modern style. The room is open plan. Here's a picture of the dining room. I'm not sure if I should keep the furniture similar to the dining table or change it up. Ahhh I'm at a loss! Any help is greatly GREATLY appreciated :)

Comments (27)

• Maureen
    Definitely mixing is more modern; just a bit harder to do. (The dining room will blend with almost any modern elements you add). I think it may be nice if you placed the couches facing each other and add a large square coffee table, plus a settee facing the fireplace and a rug to pull the area together. Mix up choices for side tables. Add rods high and perhaps use linen drapery in a creamy beige. If you are placing your tv on the left of the fireplace on a cabinet, ensure tv is able to swivel so it can be seen from both couches and you may have to add a console table (a mirrored one would be an idea) to the other side of the fireplace for balance. Add a lamp on the table and art overhead. [houzz=
    Elegant living room · More Info
    ]
    jessalyssa thanked Maureen
  • PRO
    S&A Decor
    OK first of all, your dining room looks too much like a conference room. although, i like the pendant dining room requires a large chandelier. chairs also look like they belong in an office
    i like the couches. are they the same size? if they are put them one opposite the other with an area rug and a coffee table between them
    i would resurface the fire place and add a mirror above it
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    I just looked at your ideas books and love them! I think you have some very good starts with items you have chosen. This is where you might want some professional help...as to make sure before you purchased anything else...that it will in fact, make all the difference in the end....call us for more help! 714-970-8000
  • jessalyssa
    Thanks for the replies everyone. The dining room table is brand new so that's not going to change. I actually like it as it's modern but not too modern. It's one of the most popular pieces in the furniture store I bought it in and it matches perfectly with my kitchen. (Also open plan)This house is only 2 years old, so the fireplace and the light above the table are also basically brand new. They aren't things I'm willing to change. I only want help with the layout and furniture choices for the family room!
  • jessalyssa
    Here's some pictures of the kitchen. It's all one big room as you can see so I'm trying to go for a certain theme, but I'm not sure which theme to go for. Sorry there's stuff all over the place. We only moved in.
  • PRO
    The Classy Home
    For kitchen you should put lights on the cabinet. see modern as well as traditional designs http://www.theclassyhome.com/comersus_listOneCategory.asp?idCategory=236&Furniture=Kitchen%26%2344+Dining+%26+Bars
  • Carolina
    What do you think of something like this?
  • Carolina
    Where will you put your TV? Can you mount it on a swivel arm to the side of the fireplace?
  • jessalyssa
    The tv is going on the left side of the fireplace on a cabinet. Still looking for one! I'm thinking of something dark wood and kind of antique looking but I'm not 100% sure. I love that picture!! Coffee table looks great!
  • Carolina
    I used this one, or actually two of these because I expect that will be a better size for your room, from Crate&Barrel. Picked it because it's modern and doesn't look heavy. You can switch out the top and bottom, bottom is glass, top is wood. But you can change that around when you want to. So have both glass tops, or one glass one wood top.
    http://www.crateandbarrel.com/artists-and-designers/mark-daniel/switch-coffee-table/s661660
  • jessalyssa
    Thank you so much. I love it. Do you happen to know if they deliver internationally? I'm in Ireland!
  • jessalyssa
    I've been looking at this furniture store which has similar furniture to Crate & Barrel but it's here in Ireland. Do you see anything that would look good? http://www.soullifestyle.ie/
  • Maureen
    I thought round or square may be a better choice if going with an l-shaped arrangement (if couches are facing each other, any shape would work). Based on round or square, I liked 4 that have some grey's in them that might compliment your couches. Note their height and size, as they may be deciding factors (prices range as well).
    Detroit 90X40, Antibes 90X45, Midsomer 100X45 and Granville comes with curved legs (nice with the legs of your sofas) and straight, but are different sizes - curved 100X40 and straight 120X40. It's nice to have a large coffee table, but 40 vs 45 may also be a factor with the height of your couches and how they look together. Good luck.
  • Mary Dillon
    Pale drapes for sure. Love yr sofa and loveseat! I wd NOT go with "very dark wood" just because of their feet, though. But that's a sweet round side table Carolyns added above; how about a pair of such, one for each end of long sofa?
  • Carolina
    Take the height and width of your sofas into consideration. Coffee table ideally should be same height as seating or a bit lower. So it's easy to put down your drink on the table. About 2/3 of the width of the largest sofa would probably be a good size, could be a bit smaller (or larger) but too small will look dinky. And I agree that square or round will be the best shape (which is why I put in 2 rectangular ones).

I like most of the tables on the Soullifestyle website. Very nice! Colonial, Core, Metro, Midsummer square especially. Granville is nice too. Yeah, lots of nice ones.
  • jessalyssa
    Thank you so much everyone for your help. I'm going to do some digging and hopefully find what I'm looking for. It's the mixing and matching of woods that I have a problem with as I feel like I'm not good at it, but I hate the look of everything matching too. Ahh dilemmas! I'll make sure to post a picture when it's done!
  • Carolina
    You know what? If you follow your gut feeling, only buy what you love, I'm pretty sure everything will go together.

Keep us posted :-)
    jessalyssa thanked Carolina
  • jessalyssa
    What do you think of these pieces? I'm thinking the nest of tables on one side with a large lamp, and then the stand alone table on the other side with a smaller lamp. http://www.soullifestyle.ie/products/end-tables/metro-round-end-table http://www.zarahome.com/ie/en/occasional-furniture-c1169002p4207839.html
  • Carolina
    Love them! But since the armrests of your sofas are high, you'll need tall tables for them to be functional and not look incredibly small. How high are the armrests?
  • Carolina
    But they are gorgeous tables. Hmm... The 'rule' is to have tables about the height of the armrest, but then again, rules are there to be broken. The idea behind the rule is that it should be easy to put something on that table, or take something off it, when you're sitting on the sofa/chair. I have a shorter end table, it's a tree stump on wheels, and have that positioned slightly in front of the couch, so it is still within easy reach. If you use the shorter table for a lamp, you'll need a tall lamp to get a good height. Here's a guideline:
  • Carolina
    Short table, tall lamp :-)
    Domicile id · More Info

Table and lamp slightly oversized (I love this)
    Bleeker · More Info
  • jessalyssa
    Thank you!! I'll definitely measure before I buy! I was thinking either one of these coffee tables. The nest of tables and then one of these on the other side.
  • jessalyssa
    Or this side table (depending on which coffee table I choose). I'm not sure if mixing gold and silver metals is a good idea though.
  • jessalyssa
    And then maybe this tv cabinet! What do you think? Thanks again for all your help. I hope you don't mind all of these questions!
  • Carolina
    No, ask away :-) I'm not a pro though, just kind of passionate about design and interiors and all that :-)

Great cabinet. I'm really not opposed to mixing metals. You'll get a more eclectic mix. It is the result of going with what you love and not with what you think goes with something else. And that will give your interior your own personal style. Matter of taste. Some people really don't like it. Others do :-)

Go for a fairly large coffee table. I would think at least 100 cm wide. Tape (news) paper together to the size of the coffee table you like and lay that on the floor. It will give you an idea about the scale in your room.
    You need it to be easily reachable from the sofas, since you have these high armrests. And your room can take a large table. If you can't find a large one you like, you can also think about putting together 4 smaller square ones for example.

The one with the metal base (I took two from the Soul Lifestyle site) is on the smallish side. The black one is larger. Round fits nicely with the shape of your sofas.
    Not sure if I mocked up the sizes correctly, but I think the lovely side table is too small. The lamp is about 70 cm tall (again, I guestimated the size), but it does look small on that low table. Maybe it's taller in real life than in the mock up?

Mixed metals in a room
    My Houzz: Metropolitan Chic in Boston's Tony Back Bay · More Info

Refined Living Room · More Info

Boston Common House · More Info

Modern Living Room · More Info
  • Carolina
    Taller end table
Ireland
Tailor my experience using cookies

By continuing to browse this site or use this app, I agree the Houzz group may use cookies and similar technologies to improve its products and services, serve me relevant content and to personalise my experience. Learn more.