houzzuk

Best piece of advice for working at home?

HouzzUK
5 years ago

Working from home can be wonderful. No commute, your favourite snacks on tap and if you're anything like some of our Houzzers, you find yourself cocooned in some pretty smart looking offices. But how do you stay motivated? Do you have any top tips for keeping up productivity?

Our Best Desks For Your Workspace · More Info

Need some inspiration? Click [here.[(https://www.houzz.co.uk/ideabooks/113370567/list/create-a-productive-work-space)

Comments (48)

• Heidi Cullen
    5 years ago

Do not watch TV or listen to the radio. I have a room I go to when I need to work at home and I do an hour and then have a 10 min break - walk round the garden and have a snack/drink. Then I do the bulk of my work and have lunch. I'm usually finished by then as I tend to be more productive at home - no hilarious colleagues distracting me.

• Jonathan
    5 years ago
    I agree. Keep home and work separate. Don’t try to think about both at the same time. So don’t try to juggle both in the same time. Write out a to do list with three columns- put household chores at the end, work stuff in the middle and then the top of the list should be things that are just for you such as watching your favourite TV programme, meeting a friend, doing exercise, attending a class, reading a book, taking a bath. At the end of the week you are much happier if you have ticked off all the stuff you have done for yourself as well as the chores.
    Lastly try to keep your work clothes different as when you put them on it changes your mindset.
  • Related Discussions

Any advice on how to make my kitchen work ?

Q

Comments (2)
    First and foremost we need to get you to declutter the space. Take and remove everything that you do not use on a weekly basis and store those items in the garage, pantry or closet. Once you have the room cleared you will have a better vision for what your needs really are. I would also remove the table and whatever is on the wall above it. There is a possibility you could use a smaller taller farm table as an island with a few stools that can slide underneath then add a few to the peninsula as well if you need that much seating in the space. My biggest pet peeve in kitchens is when the cabinets do not meet the ceiling. We all need as much storage space as we can get. The "display" area above cabinets is useless unless you have a fabulous collection of something to really show off. From your photo it appears you are only using it for extra storage. Perhaps you might find flush woven storage bins to use side by side for hidden storage (?) instead. Are you considering painting or staining your cabinetry and replacing counter tops? If so, you might want to consider a counter surface on the peninsula that hangs over on the side for added seating. Best of luck!
    ...See More

Advice on House Exterior

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi, I think that you could give this house a smart contemporary look with the grey windows that you suggested. I would break each window up into two or three panels though, this would give each panel a more elegant vertical emphasis. A timber front door is always nice though, the image above shows one of our houses with a similar hip-roofed style and grey frames (the windows here are openable too). It is good to match the window frame colour to the gutters and/or eaves fascia & soffit. In this house we had an iroko timber door and eaves which brings a warm high quality feel to the house. Best of luck!
    ...See More

Making best use of my small garden

Q

Comments (1)
    I would follow the curving line of the lovely brick sett edging to the beds and have the same brick edging whatever flag stone you choose . This way you can continue the lovely curve and have your patio wider/ deeper on whichever side you choose to have the table and bbq. Grass the rest...I 'very just seen the date on this question. You'very probably done it by now, lol
    ...See More

Best light gray for a small and very bright living room

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi, I think any of those 3 could look good, with white elsewhere as a contrast and bringing in some bright warm colours with cushions, throws etc. We repainted our house last year and used Farrow and Ball colours - Elephants Breath is very popular and looks great in our living room, we used their darker greys in our sitting room and hall. You can get Dulux to mix FandB colours so it works out cheaper if you like. I was afraid of it being cold or dark but love it!
    ...See More
  • andituck
    5 years ago
    Walk! I walk the dog, get dressed work, then do another quick round the block at lunchtime to keep me up and motivated. I hate sitting all day so when I get up to make a coffee I quickly do chores like put a wash on or hang it out. Days feel longer when you work from home as you have no commute.
  • PRO
    Tim Wood Limited
    5 years ago

I think it all comes down to self motivation, I can work almost anywhere. If your busy its very easy you need to put your head down and just get on with your work. If you're not busy or less busy set yourself aims/goals.

Also make sure you do not allow working from home or on your own, to take you over. What's it all for if you don't also force yourself to stop and spend time with family or friends or do other things. You need balance.

I sometimes fly abroad for work and end up working in my hotel room either on the project I have gone abroad for or on other projects. If you run your own business you need drive and self motivation so working from home should not be a problem, for some it does not work.

• Norren Bird
    5 years ago

I agree with andituck - walk! You'll be amazed how much more you move in an office. My first year WFH I made myself walk outside for 30 mins every lunchtime. 18 months into a new home-based role + no walking = over 1 stone extra for me to carry!! You need the break even if you've to force yourself. Healthy body = heathy mind. Daily walks plus the 5:2 for me now - 9lb down, 7 to go X

• PRO
    Christine Harrison Fine Art and Mosaics
    5 years ago

It takes time to find what works for you but my advice is to Set yourself times to work and stick to them, get dressed. Have a proper lunch break. I used to get up and start on cleaning up kitchen etc and before I knew it half the morning had gone. I discovered that in the morning I am more creative so I ring fence that time shut the door and leave all the chores til later.

• Chris Goodchild
    5 years ago

I agree, a routine or timetable is important. I find putting the work first on the list and treating it as 'going ' to workmakes a difference, also make a separate place for work if you don't have an office space, don't sit on the sofa in front of the telly.

Self discipline is important or you quickly lose sight of the day's goals.

• deborah eade
    5 years ago

I've worked from home for at least 25 years and it's vital for the entire family not to allow work to creep outside the designated office space, to keep track of hours worked, and to factor in screen breaks - these happen easily in an office because of distractions. A couple of brisk walks a day, or other exercise, help to clear out mental cobwebs.

• Eileen Nixon
    5 years ago
    Don’t
  • deborah eade
    5 years ago

Eileen Nixon, after so many years I can't imagine ever working in an office - as a writer and editor I need silence and no visual distractions. Each to our own.

• A Bannock
    5 years ago
    I have worked from home for thirty years. The biggest problem was unwanted visits from in-laws and boring callers who thought one was a housewife.
    I never answer the door to anyone unless it's a prebooked appointment or a courier. Apart from time saving it protects you from crime.
    Have a completely separate work space with nothing that is not work related. I have a separate library for personal books etc.
    Have set work times as if at an external office. So have a teabreak and a lunch hour shut the door at the end of the day. I find I get through 20% more work at home so increases earnings. it's also important to change your social life so you are not isolated.
  • Steve Mac
    5 years ago

I will be working from home starting in the new year. My office is very boring, no one hardly talks, and I have rare opportunities to move around, apart from lunch. I am literally glued to my desk, unless i go make a cuppa! I actually look forward to working from home as I won't have a 40 minute commute, will hardly miss the banter, will be able to use my lunch break productively, ( go to the gym, a run, or even do some DIY). Plus, I'll be able to push out some starjumps whenever I feel like it. I will genuinely be more mobile working at home., which is good for health.

• PRO
    Proper
    5 years ago

Try a Stand up desk to burn calories while you work at home!!!

• Tracey
    5 years ago
    I work from home about 2 days a week. I get so much more done without constant interruptions. I get up from my desk more, as I tend to do my washing on these days. I have my desk in the snug which is a room I rarely use, so it feels separate. I love it! far less stressful.
  • Michelle M
    5 years ago
    Don’t buy biscuits...
  • Sven
    5 years ago

I have been working from home for the past 8 years and say you need:

1. Good internet.

2. A defined work area.

3. Not to feel guilty about taking lunch and breaks.

4. A quick dust and hoover of a room is good for concentration and quality of work as you can think over emails and problems.

5. Have regular checkins with your colleagues even if over the phone.

6. Work outside in good weather if you can.

• happydays28
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Invest in a decent ergonomic chair, phone headset if its Internet calling or regular calling.

• Catherine Hennessy
    5 years ago
    Make you space bright and inviting so you won’t be tempted to hide out in your ‘favorite ‘ room
  • titiankim
    5 years ago
    Having worked from home in several different roles and with a partner who works from home on his own business I would agree with lots of the points above.
    - go for a walk or run before starting work and during the day
    - have a dedicated work space you can close the door on
    - use something like toggl to monitor the hours that you're working and what projects you're spending time on
    - work on a different floor from the kettle, so you get some exercise going up and down stairs
    - only do tiny bursts of household chores (e.g. half emptying the dishwasher while the kettle boils)
    - if you work in a team ensure there's a way to have general chit chat so you don't feel too isolated (we use slack to cut down on emails, but also for general chat about the weather/our kids/dogs etc)
    -be clear with friends and family when your working hours are and stick to those boundaries
  • sothnd8
    5 years ago
    Don't.
  • titiankim
    5 years ago
    I'd love to know why some people say "don't"with absolute no explanation. Homeworking obviously isn't for everyone or every job, but for the average office job there are so many advantages: you get to spend the time or money that would've been wasted commuting on what's important to you. But I would say make sure that your employer is supportive of home working and you're not the only one. From my experience, if colleagues don't have the equipment/skills/willingness for regular Skype/Zoom meetings it can be isolating. Also, if possible, work flexibly and get out into your community during the week to do some voluntary work so you see and talk to other people.
  • deborah eade
    5 years ago

Yes, titiankim. It struck me too that 'don't' suggests there's no conversation to be had. When I started working from home, I managed an academic journal and three staff - but having already been involved in humanitarian work for 15 years, I was fully used to distance management and it enabled us all to focus on our main work. Now, as a self-employed editor, I have clients across different countries and time zones, so a home-office is the only option. Not for everyone or for every kind of job, but I would feel stifled by working any other way. Leopards and all that!

• PRO
    Matthews Architectural Projects
    5 years ago
    I find that I can't work in silence and often work with Netflix on in the background. picking something I've already seen is a must, but that's more personal preference. I find if I'm struggling to get motivated or concentrate I just leave for 5/10mins, go for a walk, have a cuppa or some food, staring blankly will get you no where and by clearing your mind will make it much easier.
  • Sebastian Grant
    5 years ago
    For me, being a Technical Lead for a global software company, it’s essential that I stay connected to my team and colleagues. Ensuring that we get on calls daily and turning the camera on whenever appropriate helps to feel like you’re still in amongst it. A couple of quirky ornaments on the fireplace in my study are always a conversation starter when the camera goes on too!
  • PRO
    iMarc-Pro Architects
    4 years ago
    Get dressed. Ensure work space isnt near the bedroom or lounge areas. furnish workstation and make it confy
  • A Bannock
    4 years ago
    I have worked from home for more than 25 years.
    I never open the door to any one other than prebooked appointments. This helps retrain in-laws who think you are a free cafe. Friends are usually not as illmannered.
    Do a work schedule the same as if you went into the office. Book business lunches so you get out too.
    Shut the door at the end of play.
  • deborah eade
    4 years ago

Bannock, me too. But no family in the country and in-laws and parents long departed, and didn't live in the same country anyway. My thing is never to answer the landline if I am working. My clients are in any number of countries and I visit one only twice a year, so no business lunches, sadly, but agree, don't let work invade the home.

• PRO
    Two Rivers Estates
    4 years ago

I find that being disciplined and setting a routine can be problematic for me so I get up and dress up as if I’m going to work at the office for work! When concentration levels are low then a walk is the best mind refresher! Looks like everyone agrees that a walk is the best remedy!

• deborah eade
    4 years ago

@Mlandeli, in the course of working in a large office, many of us naturally walk around a lot more than at home, plus walking around getting errands done at lunch time (taking clothes to the dry cleaner, buying food for supper, going to the post office, looking for a birthday present). When our office moved to a desolate business park, which nobody could walk to, and the only place for lunch was the office canteen, many complained that they were far more sedentary and also had to cram all the minor errands in with the weekly shop on a Saturday. At that point, dozens of colleagues opted to work from home ...

• Jose Garcia
    4 years ago

One of the main things to be able to work efficiently at home in my opinion is to have a well definied (and if possible) separed working area, which you can set up the way it would work the better for you, twitching up things like lighting, sound, color, space organization and so on..

• PRO
    Roof Maker
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Research has found that an abundance of natural light can help to improve both mood and productivity. And we can help you to achieve that with a rooflight! Read more about the research and benefits of natural light in this blog post https://roof-maker.co.uk/inspiration/blog/rooflight-improve-mood-productivity/

• Dee Cee
    4 years ago

I worked from home for twelve years which fitted in beautifully with my young family at the time. I then returned to the corporate world for 7 years. What I noticed I’d missed out on most was the banter, the latest film or play being discussed, marketing trends outside of work. However, I was also reminded of the petty politics in the workplace, challenging colleagues, and the slow corporate pace on decision making. In two weeks, I return to having my own business, based at home in a light, bright, productive space. I know what pitfalls to look out for (get your ‘people’ fix when needed) but I can’t wait to be in charge of my own time, speed and productivity again and I can’t see this ever changing. Excitement doesn’t even come close!

• Ana Sanchez
    4 years ago

Separate work areas from home areas is a must, in my opinion. Also, natural light if possible or/and very good artificial lighting. Remember to keep active (I am nit the best at that, I have to admit!).

• PRO
    Natalie Lockwood Interiors
    4 years ago

I'd say get your least favourite tasks out of the way first thing, then reward yourself with a quick dog walk or tea break in the garden before starting on the more enjoyable tasks. A dedicated work space makes all of the difference too, decorate it and make it feel like a space you want to be in, it doesn't take much just a cool desk are, some motivational artwork and desk accessories.

• deborah eade
    4 years ago

@ Little House, no room for desk accessories despite having two desks in my home-office! Ironically, when I worked in a shared office, my desk was meticulously tidy, out of respect for colleagues and cleaning staff, but also to avoid curious eyes. That discipline flew out of the window 25 years ago!

• Michèle Carey
    4 years ago

I work from home for the majority of the time and prefer it.

I go into the office for team meetings and supervision, and when I do I tend to stay for the day, However, I find the constant noise and chatter very difficult, especially when trying to make phone calls. At home I can walk my dogs before my work day starts without rushing or having to get up extra early. I do have a dedicated study at home and that help's, I have a 'hidden desk unit' for work and everything is out of sight at the end of the day. I don't get isolated as I attend meetings several times a week, just a lot more productive in peace and quiet - I am also hearing impaired so at home I can take out my hearing aids and work in complete silence as I know no one is going to speak to me!

• Suzanne Evans
    4 years ago

Hide the gin and tonic.

• Eileen Nixon
    4 years ago

Stop logging onto houzz

• stabmonkey
    4 years ago

No social media during office hours. Different phones for personal and office use. Switch the office phone off outside working hours.

• PRO
    SASI Studio
    4 years ago

If the working environment is designed keeping in mind the business identity of a person and its lifestyle this will be an helpful motivation factor. On the other side a good choice of music background may help to motivate, this is valid especially for creative industry.

• Mariia Sakharova
    4 years ago

If you work from home because you have kids at home, you can't really keep work and family separate. So, work, but be there for your kids too. Your colleagues should understand. This is a parent right. They get distracted on each other, and you get distracted on your kids. It's all okay.

• stabmonkey
    4 years ago

You can't work at home and be looking after your kids at the same time, unless you are working as a childminder. If a colleague was working at home and looking after a child at the same time, I would doubt that they were doing either properly.

• PRO
    Equilibrando... Space Planning with Feng Shui
    4 years ago

Working place is very important while working at home. It should be separated from the rest of the house in case there is no separated office-room. Comfortable chair and a wooden, big enough desk is essential. Sometimes uncomfortable position, lack of space or some obstacles in the room can be very destractive and in long term lower the efficiency. I recommend also to have many plants around.

• deborah eade
    4 years ago

stabmonkey, I agree - and I have worked from home for 28 years, even before becoming a parent. I certainly couldn't have done both at the same time. I'm an editor and need silence and no external distractions (the self-created ones are more than enough!) in my office. My two were therefore at a creche from an early age so that both parents could focus on our work during working hours, and on our children from when we collected them each evening and all weekend and holidays. They started school at the age of 3 in France, which was ideal for all of us.

• Douglas Johnson
    3 years ago

The most important thing is that I did this, talked to all my loved ones and concluded an agreement that working hours are working hours. I need to be focused and I didn't want to be distracted from my main goal. Therefore, while I am at my workplace, I can be sure that I will not be disturbed. The second point is the separation of duties. I have my own business and I hired an accounting service so that they take over the formal part of working with documents. It all works online, you can click on their website. So far I do not need a secretary but if I expand my business, I will definitely hire such a person (also on a remote basis)

• Dastin Lankorm
    last year

I'm having a little trouble buying quality furniture. Can you advise me where I can buy quality furniture? So that I can buy furniture for my bedroom.

• Kirk Williams
    last year

I also had problems with buying quality furniture. I always found furniture of poor quality in stores. Which is made of MDF or chipboard. Such furniture starts to crumble very quickly, which is not very good when buying bedroom furniture. I looked at several furniture websites and settled on a modern bedroom furniture https://www.roomservice360.com/modern-bedroom-furniture.html store. Here I bought a bed, as well as a small table for my wife.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.