hickeyraquel

Any ideas for final touches to this living/dinning room?

hickeyraquel
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
Any ideas for final touches to this living/dinning room?
I have just finish paining walls, sanding floors and adding new curtains, but can't come up with any ideas to finish it off and tie the rooms together. any ideas will be much appreciated. Thanks

Comments (51)

• hickeyraquel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    In the process of being posted, (not sure how to do it in one go)
  • hickeyraquel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    photo of living room
  • Related Discussions

Living room overhaul

Q

Comments (10)
    Agree with everything Vikrant Sharma Homez said. My input: - An alternative needs to be found for the hulking bookshelf. - Take extra time and care to choose appropriately-sized furniture for the room. - Consider a roman shade or roman shades for the window seat windows. - Remove sheers - Improve lighting. Can you get recessed installed? - Edit accessories and choose only those which provide a lot of impact. A bunch of little things just looks like clutter. I like to do the following exercise. Go around the room and touch every single thing in the room one time. Think about each item you touch. Then, after you've finished, ask yourself what you can remove. Remove those items. It seems weird, but it's a great way to ensure that you clear clutter. - Incorporate some living things in the room (plants & flowers)
    ...See More

Any suggestions for finishing my kitchen/living room

Q

Comments (592)
    Hi ...Zaz I am not sure what went on here in Houzz .... While I have been away ..(sneezing coughing sweating) Whatever it was Move on from it !! as best you can ... Otherwise these things eat away at you ... And being on a downer that's not good for anyone ..........including you .... You have a Talent truly you do Lots see it ...... Even if you can't ....... So Put it toooooo good use If not for yourself ........ Then for others so they might enjoy it Seeing others smile from Something you have done Is gift.... I know I love toooooo Give that gift of a smile ..... Be it from writing or resisting my Poems Playing my little ukuele Painting So dust yourself off there's work toooooooo be done :@) Get your a@£& In that kitchen ... Today is the start of a new and better year ...... Of which only You Can make happen !!
    ...See More

Any ideas how to modernise this living room ?

Q

Comments (8)
    the place is due to be painted next month..would it be OK to paint all the walls white then add colour in just with accessories like rugs, plants, cushions, lamps etc or should I be painting in colours and doing feature walls etc...I've always liked a white and blue beachy type theme if this would work with this room ?
    ...See More

Need help for my living room

Q

Comments (7)
    I think as well as adding life to the room with a different wall colour, you need to add some textures. But you have a great base to work from - well chosen sofa, floor, fireplace, etc. Great! The colour I would suggest you use in this space is called Sedgemoor by a company called Francesca’s Paints. I know you can’t get them over there in Ireland, but I have posted a picture of a room painted in this shade - perhaps you can get Dulux to colour match if you like it? You could then add a few cushions in natural colours, like dark brown, and possibly something like this from John Lewis: http://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-luce-cushion/p519627?colour=Blackberry. I would also add some pattern/texture/interest into the scheme through cushions - I really love the idea of layering up a pile of these, like in the photo on the Heal’s website (also posted): http://www.heals.co.uk/content/ebiz/heals/invt/583041/583041_l1.jpg. Then another thing you could do is add a rug, I would probably go for a textured brown one like this tonal rug from Habitat http://www.habitat.co.uk/mohit-large-brown-tonal-rug-170-x-240cm/rugs//fcp-product/24124. Hope this post has helped! Good luck! x
    ...See More
  • beverlynn
    10 years ago
    Ok
  • hickeyraquel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    and one more -
  • PRO
    Toronto Designers
    10 years ago
    Gorgeous space you have! Can you lower the chandelier? I would love to see something heavier on the table, like a very large bowl in perhaps a colour from the rug, or something in wood that is antique/vintage. Filling the shelves with books will also add to the warmth. The crystal candle sticks would look great on the mantel. And a set of ornate dishes in the curio cabinet would look awesome, especially if it was very colourful.

Looking forward to seeing more photos, including the living room so I can see what you mean by tying them in together.
    hickeyraquel thanked Toronto Designers
  • bluenan
    10 years ago
    The work you've done is just beautiful. Recovering the dining chairs with something with more impact by pulling some of the color out of the rug, will help give the otherwise neutral room more interest. Those chair seats are easily removable and you can cover them yourself with a staple gun and a little patience. Sorry, I think the table runner is a bit frumpy, and if your going to use the end chairs the table leaves need to be up. If not, put the extra chairs against the wall, perhaps on either side of the window.
    hickeyraquel thanked bluenan
  • beverlynn
    10 years ago
    The rooms are beautiful! The crown molding is exquisite!! Nice mirrors, chandeliers, and drapery also! I think the only thing needed is some artwork to add shots of color! You have space on either side of the arch way going into dining room, under art light on other side of fireplace, over sofa. Maybe add a pillow to each chair in a bright color - red, orange, aqua, kelly green etc. Just small shots of color will add those finishing touches
    hickeyraquel thanked beverlynn
  • PRO
    Toronto Designers
    10 years ago
    Oh wow, I changed my mind - now I want to see you going with some really modern pieces mixed in with this gorgeous space. How do you feel about that? And keep things super simple to make the bones really stand out. On the dining table, remove the runner and put a large modern plate or bowl on the table. I still like the idea of an ornate china set in the curio, but place it simply with nothing else around it. And I would relocate the floor lamp to another space altogether and if you need the light, add something super modern. And if you aren't in love with the rug, a Madeline Weinrib type rug would look awesome!
    hickeyraquel thanked Toronto Designers
  • bluenan
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Now that I see more pics, I'd move the french chairs and floor lamp out of the dining room and into the living room to make room for the extra dining chairs. Or, if the living room rug is bigger than the dining room rug, consider switching the two and opening the leaves on the table, then you can use all of your dining chairs at the table. The current dining room rug is really too small for your large table and numerous chairs. In the living room not all of the furniture has to be on the rug. Also, not sure the curio cabinet belongs in the dining room, you already have a lot of open and unused display space to the left of the fireplace. I'd rather see one of the french chairs with a trio of framed prints hung vertically above it where the curio cabinet is. Using the built-in for books, as already mentioned, can give the space a dual dining/library vibe. Just avoid a ton of little decorative items to keep it more sophisticated.
    Green Gambrel Dining Room · More Info
  • hickeyraquel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I have a rug (on it's way to me...will take about a month to arrive) for the dinning room. photo attached and paining (photo attached). also the books will find their place soon, however I thing I need to replace the sofa. I feel there is too much "wood" in the room. Any thought?
  • bluenan
    10 years ago
    And thank you so much hickeyraquel for a design dilemma in a beautiful space that isn't saying, "I need a new bathroom and laundry room"!!
  • beverlynn
    10 years ago
    Oh, bluenan is right, change the runner on the dining room table. Also, consider a centerpiece with color. it doesn't have to be a vivid red for example. As you can see, I am the Queen of Cream, but I like the subtle color of the centerpiece. When I have parties, I usually have fresh flowers, and the blue hydrangeas from my aunt's garden were beautiful!
  • hickeyraquel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you ladies very much. Sorry, I seem to attach to wrong photo but will try again and will post in a month time a revised photo with my rug and my books. (they are all in transit and I do miss my books sooooo much).
  • beverlynn
    10 years ago
    Great! Good luck!
  • bluenan
    10 years ago
    I can't see the sofa very well, but I think it matches the chairs with the caned sides. I actually like the sofa's more relaxed feel and the wood adds warmth to the space and contrasts with the light floors. The rooms are very formal and adding elements that are less formal will help avoid that the "taking itself too seriously" feel. I want to say that I absolutely love the way you've done your floors, it's such a nice relief from all of the super dark floors that are so popular now. It's fresh and light and beautiful! Good luck!
  • elcieg
    10 years ago
    Clayton Greek Key Table Lamp · More Info
  • hickeyraquel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks, The floor (1903) was sanded and white wash. I am very pleased with it too. and yes, I will change the sofa in time to a "soft sofa".

Although, I like the Clayton Greek key table lamp, I am going to hold to the table lamps I am having as I just bought them lately. thanks, though all the same.
  • indianpatti
    10 years ago
    Love the crown molding ... beautiful room.

The floor lamp doesn't go well with your space .. maybe just remove it?

All of the crystal on the table really takes away from the chandelier ... maybe move them to your shelving. Someone else suggest a bowl on the table and I agree with that idea.

A table runner that brings in some color would look nice too.
    hickeyraquel thanked indianpatti
  • hickeyraquel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/any-ideas-for-final-touches-to-this-living-dinning-room-dsvw-vd~569586

Here are few more photos - Getting to get to know the application a bit better - and attached few more photos of the room. Txs again
  • hickeyraquel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    This is the final look. I am loving it!
  • bluenan
    10 years ago
    Wow, hickeyraquel! You should be proud! Love your living room photo as well!
  • beverlynn
    10 years ago
    Beautiful!!!!!!
  • A K
    10 years ago
    Too many styles and too much small clutter for my taste.
    1 Take out the white shelf curio cabinet. No style for such a lovely room and if you fill all the little niches it is more clutter. 2 Take out the tall curio cabinet. It is the wrong style for the room and once filled with a bunch of little stuff it will add to more clutter.
    3 Remove the runner as it too is a different style.
    4 Look for some large art prints at a consignment store. Something with big bold color. 4ft x 6ft or larger on either side of the fireplace. If they don't match exactly take them to a framing store and have them matted to match
    That is the least costly way to make your dining room more elegant.

If you have a lot more adventurist spirit try a midnight blue or a metallic dark silver wall paint on the window wall. I'd go for 3 walls myself. Then take those accent wall colors from the dining room and bring them into the living room with accessories.

The metallic painted dining room glimmers at night with a dimmer switch on your chandelier. I have done a metallic copper wall and a silver foiled ceiling. Both awesome for evening romantic dinners.
    hickeyraquel thanked A K
  • Mary Grable
    10 years ago
    I agree with audreydolphin. There is a bit too much clutter. Rather than placing accessories in a straight line on the mantle group a view things together remembering to vary the heights of your objects. I think that there are too many books on your shelves. Negative space gives your eyes a rest and keeps things from looking too busy. Also, books can lie stacked and horizontal on a surface, which will add interest! Your floors are beautiful!
    hickeyraquel thanked Mary Grable
    10 years ago
    I personally think u should take down mirror and replace it with one with less "bossy " frame..try putting your finger over pic,and your eye is drawn away from it, to the dining table ,where it should be..
    Too many things competing for attention right now
    hickeyraquel thanked 78407840
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    10 years ago
    Beautiful eclectic look. I see so many conversation items and things that frankly I covet. You do have a spectacular place that despite the formal elements like the ornate molding and crystal chandelier manages to be welcoming and effortless. I think you should have a party and show it off.
    hickeyraquel thanked saratogaswizzlestick
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    the rooms are beautiful. It is clear that you have an interesting array of artifacts form your travels.
    hickeyraquel thanked sunnydrew
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    hickeyraquel - bet you never thought you'd get another makeover in just 6 months or so! Seems my browsing for the term "green" brought your post to the surface again somehow. How's the LR working out after the changes we made? Hope you're still enjoying it and the rest of your lovely home.
    hickeyraquel thanked decoenthusiaste
  • janeinfo
    10 years ago
    Okay,,,,,,your room is lovely! Reminds me of a mix between English cottage and formal English Elegance! The only two things I would change is to remove the table runner and just use your glass candlesticks and bowl (maybe fill the bowl with silver orbs (silver Christmas balls would work).....and then, remove your lamp. (It is more of a Frank Floyd Wright kind of lamp).........you could always give that lovely chandelier to me!!!!!!!! :) It is GORGEOUS!!!!!
    hickeyraquel thanked janeinfo
  • designgene
    10 years ago
    What a wonderful progression of photos to see, thank you for sharing! I love how the neutrality of the paint and dramatic drapes help to highlight your colorful artifacts. You asked about the living room having too much wood? I love your couch, and maybe to bring in a modern touch, you could add a big leather ottoman instead of the wood coffee table in a bold color, like teal leather, or tapestry fabric in colors that pick up the rug there. I love your mirrors and the grand height of those ceilings, accented by that crown molding.
    hickeyraquel thanked designgene
  • Nancy Ann Lightsey
    10 years ago
    You are working toward such a fine , warm , and sumptuous room and it just needs tweaking a bit , but you will work the kinks out and have fun doing it!! There were some great comments that will serve you well. My most sincere advice is do not be afraid of color and please make you some fine drapes, I mean over the top!!! They will dress the room with warmth and elegance and be one of a kind!!
    hickeyraquel thanked Nancy Ann Lightsey
  • PRO
    Suttle & Rowdy Design
    10 years ago
    I would add some fresh flowers on table or a potted fern by the window ... peacock and some books in bookshelves - a selective special collection perhaps. Candle holders x2 on fire mantle to add ambience
    hickeyraquel thanked Suttle & Rowdy Design
  • Gene Longo
    10 years ago
    You have a great start with your paint and drapes - nice clean and simple. First - while I like your rug it really is too small for the space. You would have options to go more monotone on the rug or to go bold - I am torn because a lovely tone on tone rug could be interesting - and still allow you to accessorize. I would love to see two large matching vases or ginger jars on the mantle. Love the earlier suggestion of lowering the chandellier. Sometimes fewer things with more drama works in a monochromatic space.
    hickeyraquel thanked Gene Longo
  • scarlettcohara
    10 years ago
    Love your runner. Looks to be antique. Your current centerpiece catches the light from the window. Don't mess with perfection.
    hickeyraquel thanked scarlettcohara
  • yearofthepig
    10 years ago
    Final touch could be calling it a living/DINING room.......
  • Victoria Pierce
    10 years ago
    Beautiful room...time for a dinner party! You did a great job!
    hickeyraquel thanked Victoria Pierce
  • curlycook
    10 years ago
    Just gorgeous! I can't help but wish for finish molding on the top of the painted shelves in the dining room. Everything is so sumptuous and it draws my eye to the plain line. Great job!!
    hickeyraquel thanked curlycook
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    10 years ago
    You have a beautiful space! you to wonderful.
    hickeyraquel thanked essentials inside
  • Victoria Pierce
    10 years ago
    I was thinking about your beautiful room last night.. I don't sleep well. What you are missing is something alive... flowers , fern or a palm.. Your two beautiful jars on the table might look great on top of the book cases.. and flowers on the table or a BIG bowl full of lemons or apples for color.. you can find beautiful fake ones... You don't need fruit flies.. :-)
    Wish I could photoshop so I could show you what I mean.. the room is so elegant .. just missing something alive... also I agree that the mantel has to many beautiful things on it.. can you group them leaving some negative space.. or put some away and trade them out every month or so.. keeping the room feeling fresh.. the room is stunning as is but I do think you would love it with a bit of live color...
    hickeyraquel thanked Victoria Pierce
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Rug needs to be bigger. Chairs should be on it pulled out. Go a bold color also. Lower light to. 36" above table. Add just a few decor items to shelves. On table add a big bowl try red and fill with green apples. You need color.
    hickeyraquel thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    On mantel 3 tall candle sticks on one end only. Lamp by corner should go. Nothing needed in that corner.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Remove runner. And that chair in corner. On shelves add color mix it up with patterns and color.
  • bluenan
    10 years ago
    travisinteriors, your comments are a moot point since much has been done since the original post from July. She has posted an updated picture towards the bottom of this thread, but you wouldn't know that since you rarely feel the need to actually read a thread before you comment.
  • Ramona
    10 years ago
    This is a beautiful space. You do need to rearrange your accents so that they get the attention they deserve without competing. The wonderfully colorful piece on the dining room mantel needs a place for itself, not competing with a lot of other smaller things and against that mirror, which I think is just fine, but it competes with that wonderful piece.
    hickeyraquel thanked Ramona
  • hickeyraquel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Just a quick note to thank you all for sharing your thought, ideas, experience and time. I especially want to thank Bluenan and decoenthusiaste for being with me through the all process for the last 6 months or so..., just wanted to post few photos of the results ( https://www.houzz.com/discussions/any-ideas-for-final-touches-to-this-living-dinning-room-dsvw-vd~569586) as I feel it is not only me who created this space but it is your creations as much as mine.
    It may not be perfect or according to the the "Rules", but it is Me and my family.
    Each and every piece was chosen by me in different parts of the world and each one of them has a unique story behind.
    I am very pleased with my space. I love it! I am very blessed. .... and so I am off to my new project now... Back to school.... that's really going to be hard ;)

Thank you all, once again.
  • Becky Smith
    10 years ago
    you need life such as plants and flowers. Perhaps a large bowl of flowers on the table. Vines on the bookshelves hanging down. Otherwise the room is perfect.....
    hickeyraquel thanked Becky Smith
  • PRO
    Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
    10 years ago
    How about an accent wall? Maybe a bouquet of hydrangeas? Some kind of table centerpiece? Otherwise, the rooms are all in sync.
    hickeyraquel thanked Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
  • PRO
    Suttle & Rowdy Design
    10 years ago
    For the living room: I would consider candle wall sconces matching your chandeliers-place on either side of your entry way to the dining area. Example Idea :When your finished with aperitifs in the lounge... your lit candle sconces create an elegant entrance to the dining area. I would place your little heads on the lap table and place your tall ornament on the left of the window to create some balance in artifacts around the room.
  • sheilaskb
    8 years ago

I love the runner on the table because of the beautiful edging at each end. If you have another scarf like it or can find one like it, you might put such a scarf along the back of your sofa in the living room to help with the "connected" look you want. I notice you have peach tones in the lamp shade and the upholstery of a chair, so you might choose some accent pieces in peach, and these might include a vase or floral arrangement, throw pillows, wall art, or the upholstery on the dining chairs. Your furnishings are really beautiful, and I like the soft color you have on the walls.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.