1stgarden

Another crisis - Homebase stone belfry paving kit

1stgarden
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Me again :(
I'm trying really hard to stay positive and upbeat about sorting out our garden but it gets harder and harder! Now I'm okay with our deisred patio size (6m by 2m wide at the bottom of the garden) I'm panicking about the patio slabs we picked!
We brought this from Homebase: https://www.homebase.co.uk/stylish-stone-belfrey-paving-patio-kit-5-76sq-m-autumn-brown_p424572 in the autumn brown colour. It looked pretty online! It was sight unseen as it's only an online product or something. (We went in and asked).
Now it's been delivered and I'm looking at it... It's not as polished and pretty and deep orange ish toned as I thought it would be. It's grey?! Please help!
We can't return it (we just dont have the excess money for things like this, we do have to stick to our meagre budget right now) so somehow I have to fall in love with it! It might be that I'm being overly picky and dramatic. It might also be that I've only looked at one slab and it'll look different when they are all laid out. Right?
Does anyone here by any chance have the above patio kit that they could show me a real life picture of? I desperately wish we had gone with the gold colour right now :( am I being silly?!
Ps, if I'm understanding the description right these are concrete slabs with a riven texture on top? Will these be safe to pressure wash with a kercher? Do they need to be sealed? Are they called concrete slabs or pavers?!! :)
Thank you!

Comments (11)

• Sonia
    4 years ago

And breath! Firstly are you sure the right colour was delivered? If it looks grey, then a mistake has been made. Check the packaging and paperwork. If the colour is wrong, then call Homebase Customer Service and explain the problem. Stay calm, do not get hysterical (not that you would) and tell them you do not want the paving.

Can you share a picture of the paving you received?

You do have very good statutory rights when buying online. If an item is not as expected, then it can be returned within 30 days. This is the law. You don’t even have to give a reason for the return, by law, but it is far easier if you do - “colour not as shown on website.” Okay it’s not an item of clothing, but the law still applies. So if you hate the paving, then back it goes!

For what it’s worth, a soft grey would be lovely.

1stgarden thanked Sonia
  • Sonia
    4 years ago

By the way “sight unseen” is the very reason you have more rights buying online. You cannot be sure of the colour and quality therefore you can return the item. Check their returns conditions online, but statutory rights are the ones that matter.

1stgarden thanked Sonia
  • tamp75
    4 years ago
    You can def return & they offer a free collection on unwanted online orders so long as you have a receipt / delivery note. Hope you get it sorted.
    1stgarden thanked tamp75
  • rachelmidlands
    4 years ago

Don’t Panic! As always I agree with Forza:) It’s you’re right to return or exchange something if you’re not happy with it. I bought the wrong concrete today from Wickes, guess where I’m going tomorrow morning:/ . Not sure how to clean it but I don’t think it will splinter like a natural stone might under a pressure washer. Think there is a website called Paving Expert which is very informative. The autumn brown colour does seem to have a little bit of grey in it. It is perhaps possible you have a batch that has more grey than brown but unlikely since you think the colour is markedly different. Double check receipts and any delivery notes and take some photos with you and have a look in store for comparison. I actually prefer grey paving tbh, we lived with a buff colour patio in our last house and found it very difficult to keep clean even with the pressure washer. I try to give mine a good scrub with bleach or Jeyes fluid once a year, keeps the moss down:)

1stgarden thanked rachelmidlands
  • 1stgarden
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you so much guys for your responses, I was really upset yesterday! But then I went out to have another look at the slabs (and managed to move two out of the way to see the third one) and that one was less grey and more... rust coloured?

So I think it is a case of the top two were extra grey. In the online pictures the colour seems vastly buff with sections of grey, but the top two slabs were all grey :/

I'm sure I can return them (would need to find the receipt) but what stops me is the builder is coming on Monday (and I just want this patio already - you know how fickle the sunshine is here haha and I feel like I've wasted so much sun already :D ) but also because the york gold colour (that I think I want) I'd also be buying sight unseen so...... ugh! Lol

However, I'm coming around to this colour :) and you're both right, a nice grey can be really nice! I need to stop second guessing all the decisions I spent months making, and triple checking and just let it all progress now, I do belive it's those super last min nerves getting to me!

I will breath :)

• Sonia
    4 years ago

A confession - when my sandstone paving arrived the colours were so varied I just wasn’t sure I liked it. I’d seen a slab but of course sandstone is a natural product and nothing is standard in nature, but I let the builder lay it and I loved it, especially when it’s raining. Your paving may grow on you, as mine has, Good luck x

1stgarden thanked Sonia
  • 1stgarden
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wow Forzaitalia you know I absolutely love your paving so I'm so glad you didn't like it !! :D

Not being a meanie I promise; I just love the fact that your garden that looks so well thought out and planned and carefully controlled... But you felt the same amamature feelings I am feeling :))) it gives me hope!!!

Thank you :) and I'm super happy you do love it now, that's what makes this story perfect :)

• 1stgarden
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you MATH, I've checked the label on the packs and they are defo the correct slabs. I'm sure they over brightened the online pictures grrr

• Sonia
    4 years ago

1stgarden, there was nothing planned out about my garden lol! We had the garage built and then the builder (my brother) asked me to draw a plan as to how we wanted the paving laid, and he and his men were standing there waiting! I quickly scribbled a plan and off they went. So much pressure!

i already had some of the plants, but had to get more to fill the gaps. If I see a plant I like I read up about it, ensure it suits the garden soil and aspect, and then I plant it. I just fill gaps as and when, no real plan at all. I’m always adapting the planting, grubbing out what fails and finding a replacement. Last year I removed a shrub I didn’t like and planted a dwarf Apple tree In its place. I love buying and planting plants, so no real hardship.

My my biggest mistake? Planting a Silver Birch tree at the end of the garden, it grew to 50 feet and the roots broke up my neighbours path! Sadly it had to go, cost me £300 to have it chopped down by a tree surgeon. One expensive mistake. :-D

1stgarden thanked Sonia
  • 1stgarden
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hahaha well a garden that looks perfectly planned out but wasn't... that's the real winner!! I can't belive you had to sketch the plan whilst your brother et al stood there waiting :D .... *brothers* !!!

Oof that silver birch tree.. But they are so beautiful!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.