gillers01

Cabinets too bulky? kitchen designer and architect disagree

gillers01
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
Hi!

I am hoping to get the opinion of someone here with a good understanding of dimensions. I am clueless of this. The whole kitchen is 5880 in width and 10150 in length. I am attatching a diagram of the proposed design but can only show one end of it and not the whole room so I hope you can get the jist of things and visualise it.

I am trying to decide whether to get a bank of cupboards on the side wall in the name of having a hidden appliance countertop. I have calculated that at any given time I have 6 appliances on the go all the time. The idea is that we wont have to have any appliances in storage and hopefully use the juicer a bit more if its plugged in ready to go!

I sat down with the kitchen planner and said I wanted a stream lined look to the kitchen with not one visible appliance. This is to be achieved by having the appliances plugged in behind lift up cupboards (much like a lift up cupboard you might see in front of a microwave).

In order to achieve this there will be a deep countertop with the hob in the middle. There will be two of these lift up cupboards on either side.

On top of these there will be more cupboards.

The architects coment was this structure would be "too bulky". We already have a utility which is 3300 in length and 2885 in width for storage. We also have a separate laundry room.

The room is a narrow one, I am slightly worried that all we'll see is this big structure. Then again, I love my hidden appliance countertop too and am very messy so would love to be able to just pull down the cupboard to hide mess.

The alternative that the architect has sent us is just a bare side wall with a hob coming down the centre as the main feature. So they have eliminated every single cabinet above the countertop.

Any comments very much appreciated

(read between the lines here-really want to hear its not too bulky!)

Comment (1)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.