kathymk56

Closet lighting?

kathymk56
1 May, 2014
I have a very large master closet / laundry room. It takes up the space above our 3 car garage. I need to replace the old florescent light fixtures in the room. I don't know what the best lighting is for a dressing room. I know that I want true color from the fixture but I don't know what that is anymore. Lighting has gotten very confusing!

• bunnyllg
    I don't know what state you live in, but some codes require that closet lighting have a lens and not be a bare bulb. Take that into consideration. I find a "whiter" light is best for looking at colors of clothing and makes it easier to pack when traveling.
  • kathymk56
    Posting again. I really need lighting advise!
    Thanks
  • decoenthusiaste
    You could definitely do better than the florescent fixtures. I only see one wall outlet. LED strip lights might find an application here as could uplight cans which would give the walls a soft glow. Have you considered skylights?
    CLOSET PROJECTS COMPLETED BY Closets and Cabinetry by CLOSET CITY · More Info
    walk in closet · More Info
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    I would go with LED strips or halogen track either of these would give you a white light that makes colors truer .
  • kathymk56
    Sky Lights in Wester New York state don't do much. I have lots of outlets. I really just want to see what color my cloths are. I really like the LED Fixtures.
    Building Vision - Evanston, IL
    Decoenthsiaste beat me to it - have you considered skylights or suntunnels? They provide great natural light, which could be helpful in choosing your colors every day.
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    They are great but you will still need better lighting overall. I have a big window in mine and I still need good lighting, sometimes i get dressed at night.
    Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
    A couple of these Kichler ceiling lights should be an improvement.
  • bunnyllg
    LED would be a good option as they are cool to the touch. Halogen is a BIG NO as fixtures are hot and could pose a fire hazard. Remember all closet fixtures must have lenses. Lamps that are most like daylight are your best option.
  • rainymorning
    I don't know from closet lights but just as a warning, I once left my closet light on and the next day I couldn't get my closet started!
    Willie Duggan
    Remove your fluorescent fitting using the same power point run surface mounted track the full length of wardrobe then fit track mounted led fitting cri 98 that means you see difference in the colour in the clothes ie navey. Black. Approx. 10. Fitting will do make sure the fittings are wide beam 40 degree
  • Virginia Mary
    Kathy, We are currently building a home and I too will have a closet over our three car garage. I was thrilled because for the first time ever I was going to have a big closet! But then I found out the walls would be slanted like yours are in the picture and I was bummed. Did you have any other options to double hang clothes or how to put shoes? I don't mean to be greedy, but it upset me because I have a lot of shoes and purses and things like that and I really wanted everything to be in its place. Im getting too old to box and unbox off season clothes, so I really wanted absolutely everything to be out and hanging or on a shelf.

I'm just worried that with the walls at a slant like that I'm really going to be limited. Did you have other options or did you just want one row from the start? Thanks so much. Sorry I asked a question to your question, but when I noticed it was the same as what mine will be, I was curious.
    Willie Duggan
    Kathy don't let view of walk in wardrobe put of this is easily rectified just narrow down the walkway you can hang double row of cloths over eachother you can allso allow for shelving for bags shoes shelving to fixed 45 degree angle led lighting can be fitted to these shelves to highlite shoes do centre lighting as previous comment led track mounted fitting
  • kathymk56
    Chleonkitty,
    I have an area just as you walk into the closet from the master bathroom that is the depth of the garage (25'?)by about 15' that has regular ceiling height. I also had a ironing surface installed on the white shelving that houses sweaters and jeans. This was an add on a few years ago.
  • kathymk56
    more photos
  • ambersarris
    I definitely agree with the LED lighting strips but also consider solar tubes. They provide a huge amount of light and are so much cheaper than skylights. They can also be fitted at an angle so you can still use your LED's through the centre

[houzz=
    Solatube Installs · More Info
    ]
    Willie Duggan
    Choenkitty the last comment i made on this site was for your wardrobe