dargledog

Upholstering antique bergere suite - help!

dargledog
10 years ago
We are in the process of re-storing and re-upholstering this beautiful Victorian ebonized bergere suite. The choice of fabric is crucial and really taxing us. So far we think we will simply replace the original blue velour (as per the attached photo) - but if anyone has a more original suggestion we'd be eager to hear them. Can we used a pattern given the handpainted detail? The suite will be in a room which is painted in Cord (Farrow & Ball). All suggestions gratefully received!

Comments (11)

• dbh
    10 years ago
    Since the 'cord' is a warm color, and it looks like the design in the wood incorporates that same color, I'd probably go with something cooler, like a blue-- but a much deeper one than what you have here. You could stay with the warm golden colors, though. But I think a deep blue in mohair could be really nice.
    dargledog thanked dbh
  • dargledog
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ok, so this is my second time trying to post this message ... here goes! I am attaching here pictures of the fabric books I picked up today with an emphasis on blue shades. I really like the idea of updating this suite (which we are told dates from the same era as our house, 1890s) by upholstering it with herringbone. I also got fabric books for velour and chenille, which would give a more traditional look. Going with dianahb's idea, I do quite like the teal shade (which comes up very blue on the attached picture, but in real life it's a true teal i.e. with quite a lot of green). Should I go for herringbone or chenille/velour? Blue or teal? Thanks!
  • dbh
    10 years ago
    I like both very much. Somehow, the chenille on the right (which is also what I like about mohair) seems to offer a bit more heft and texture-- to my eye. And although I like the herringbone, too, I'm not sure you need a visual pattern like that, given the furniture. I like the more subtle patterning of the other, and the richer look/feel/texture. Just my 2 cents.
  • trebinje
    10 years ago
    Wow, gorgeous pieces, I'm so jell-o (as my teen would say)! I favor the chenilles, they are so comfy and wear well, but chenille in general may look a bit casual for the style of furniture as compared to a velvet or velour. Take that into consideration when choosing. As for blue or teal, it's hard to tell without seeing the room setting, but a green-based teal chenille would surely look rich and fabulous!
    dargledog thanked trebinje
  • yoboseiyo
    10 years ago
    can i see a photo of the pieces without them all stacked together like that?
    it's hard to see the shape, and that would help me to know if the herringbone or the velvet or the chenille would look best.
  • dbh
    10 years ago
    I still think you should check out mohair, which would really be perfect for that furniture. You can find mohair that isn't too expensive, or that's on sale, fairly often.
  • User
    10 years ago
    If you're looking for a pattern you might think about Chinoiserie.
  • PRO
    Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
    10 years ago
    If you are intending to keep these pieces looking like they might have looked back in the day, Chinese silk would have been used. Chinese silk is often in a small scale pattern in a single color. Sometimes these designs would have one detail in a different color, like Chrysanthemums in Royal Blue with a single dot of Gold. The patterns were small scaled so the sofa would have an overall "quilted" appearance.
    You don't need to use the same on every piece either. The Kravet "Indochine" collection by Barbara Barry has Oriental influenced fabrics in a number of color combinations you might like. Holly Hunt also has fabrics in this style. One other note: don't paint until you have fabrics you like. Cord has a Putty-Green tone that might be a bit cold.
  • dargledog
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Jeffrey, bluenan, yoboseiyo and dianahb. Our furniture is stacked up at the furniture restorer's, hence the odd pictures. I am going there tomorrow morning to work through the fabric samples, so I'll post a better picture then. Dianahb, I only know mohair as the wool type in throws etc. I searched on the site here and the pictures thrown up as mohair look like a velour finish to me - perhaps it's known under a different name here in Ireland. But I'm a novice so wouldn't know the names of various fabrics anyway ...!
    Bluenan, I like the chinoiserie idea but I think it's hard to find a pattern that would not fight with the chinoiserie handpainting on the sides and legs of the pieces. If we stripped the suite it would be much easier to upholster, but would lose some of its unique personality. Jeffrey, I love the silks idea and I will google the ones you mention and maybe try to track down equivalents here in Ireland.
  • fos5
    10 years ago
    Lucky you, lovely pieces although can't view them well enough to be comfortable making a suggestion. Do like the oriental fabrics, but you have several color choices other than blue. Will follow and hope to see bettter pictures of piieces.
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.