webuser_875549079

Porcelain/Ceramic Worktop Overhang

Giancarlo
last year

Hi! We searched high and low for the perfect countertops for our kitchen and finally settled on SapienStone White Calacatta, available in 12mm only.

We're looking to have L-shape seating at our island with a 35cm overhang on both sides (see image). The overhang doesn't exceed 33% of the total width or depth of the island. Our concern is that we don't want additional supports visible (no posts, brackets, etc) but have been advised that an MDF backing would be sufficient to support the weight (and fragility) of the overhang.

Could anyone please advise if MDF (under the whole porcelain sheet) is sufficient to support the two-sided 35cm overhang to alleviate risk of the material snapping if weight is applied? If so, what thickness would the MDF need to be? If not, could you suggest a solution please??

Thanks in advance!!

Comments (6)

• Catherine
    last year

Why don’t you just reduce the overhang to 30cm? Should be plenty for sitting at the island on bar stools.

• Matthew
    last year

Best to contact the manufacturer and installer. Their website has a technical manual…
    https://www.sapienstone.com/doc/cataloghi_catalogues/ss_technical_manual_it_en.pdf
    … with a section on overhangs.

Giancarlo thanked Matthew
  • Jo Bloggs
    last year

I previously had sn island with an overhang of 300mm. I thought it was too much and thought 250mm would have been sufficient

• Giancarlo
    Original Author
    last year

@Matthew I did see that but I thought it related to overhangs with cutouts so would have less stability, whereas we are keeping it as a single solid surface

• PRO
    Caldicot Kitchen & Bathroom Centre
    last year

@Giancarlo, as @Matthew indicated, the key technical information is in the document his link points to. for 12mm thick slabs (with mesh backing), the recommended max overhang measurements should NOT EXCEED 250 mm. For 20 mm thick slabs ( again with mesh backing) the maximum overhang should be no more than 350 mm. This halves for non-mesh backed slabs.

Depending on how you interpret this, your max length is either 350 or 500 ish. I have always assumed the "diagonal corner" length to be my max - in part because pushing down at the corner induces higher stress point loads where the slab meets the nearest corner units.

Again, I'd advise discussing with your fabricator and/or SapienStone's technical department.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.