mandira_palit

Keep the arch or remove it?

Mandy k
last year

This is a chalet bunglow and we are doing some basic renovation before moving in. The wall between the dining and kitchen has been removed. There is a arch that divides dining space from lounge space. Looking for suggestions from experts and those who have faced similar dilemma
1. Should I remove or retain this arch (a structural element of 1960 bunglows)? The issue is it doesn't allow enough light from the garden side.
2. My builder is recommending against it because he is not sure what is inside it and it may be expensive to reduce the width and height of the arch. Is that true?
Pls note picture one shows the arch but before the wall between dining and kitchen was removed.
Picture 2 is after the wall between dining and kitchen is removed and it has allowed light to come from the kitchen window. However, the arch looks very dominant.

Comments (20)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.