webuser_192899294

downstairs layout for small house and conservatory dilemma

We have a small narrow kitchen, underused under stairs cupboard / pantry. We currently squeeze a small table and four chairs at the end of it which I hate as we are always squeezing around. We have growing kids and soon this won’t be practical.
The table used to be in the living room but this felt odd due to the proportions of the space.
We are happy with the size of the living room and I have thought about knocking through / taking some space for the kitchen: but we have a fireplace and I worry the living room will look wrong and off balance.
My husband does not love open plan. And I do worry about noise and smells.
At the back we have a small yard with an alley and then further garden. Some neighbours have added conservatories and only one has an extension which is only half the width of the house and backs onto the alley.
We may not be able to afford a proper extension and our neighbours are quite difficult so it could be hard to get ok from them. I guess we could have a conservatory dining room but I hear these aren’t great. Or we could knock through and make a large kitchen diner and the conservatory could be an alternative sitting room.
Attached a floor plan and also aerial shot to get an idea of the back yard situation.

Comments (3)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.