webuser_768402840

Channel drain is a bane, plus advise needed

HU-768402840
last year
last modified: last year

Hi Everyone,

It's me Mel, back again. I hope all is well.

I am still finishing the attic insulation and a few other jobs before I become an interior decorator.

After which I shall post some be4-after pics

The channel drain, outside the garage door, has become a pain. It had overflowed on several occasions, flooding the garage albeit to a minor degree. This weekend I opened the covers and cleaned all the mud out. After which I washed it with a hose. Within 5 mins the soak pit began overflowing again!!. Looks like its capacity is very poor or it doesn't drain well.

I tried to scrape the bottom of this soak pit. In case there's some drain pipe which has been blocked, as suggested in some previous posts. All I came across was silt and pebbles, even at a depth of 50 -75 cms.

I now fear heavy rains or melting snow(next week) will flood the garage again. Thought of several options

1) To build a small brick dam, just inside the garage, only one layer and that too the bricks to lie horizontally and not vertically? Just how a garage seal would work, but only this would be made of bricks and plastered over with cement. If this makes sense

2) Another option, is to divert the water coming down the driveway, into the garden. Again by building a small sloping dam, built from pebbles/gravel and cement?

Not sure what else I could do. Besides calling out a drain expert, only to be told the same, as Jonathan said. That it's a soak-away drain

Please see some pics attached

KR

Mel

It’s a house built in 1970 so could it be a clay gulley?
This weekend, will buy some drain rods and a plunger and try and gently have a feel
around
If I can recollect, the gulley is square in shape and had a plastic feel to it.
On the north is the driveway, which slopes downwards, so unlikely water will
drain that way. To the east is the inflow and south is the garage. To the west is the neighbour’s property and my best bet would be that, if there’s an outflow, it should be in that direction

Comments (7)

• HU-768402840
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

The driveway slopes down, towards the garage

Can build like a small dam, made from pebbles and cement, to try and divert water away from the garage door?

• HU-768402840
    Original Author
    last year

additional

queries

What's wrong with this door? Is there some fungal infection within the wood?

• HU-768402840
    Original Author
    last year

Still another unrelated query

Water ingress, from the wash basin, down into the wood.

Any advice on how to seal this gap? sealants

• HU-768402840
    Original Author
    last year

Last query, promise

Any decorating advise, on where to buy a nice coffee table, for my lounge?

• Sonia
    last year

Hi Mel, I can’t advise on anything except the coffee table! Depends on your budget and style. I like Dunelm (budget), M&S and John Lewis. I bought a lovely side table in oak from Wayfair online, excellent customer service too.

• HU-768402840
    Original Author
    last year

Hi Everyone

Update on my channel drain

Update on the channel drain

The gully seems to be going nowhere. It's more like a plastic, cylindrical cone, which ends and the bottom and sides are just mud and pebbles. I did a little probing and digging and couldn't find any exit or drainage pipe.

Please see pics enclosed within. Had a bit of rain this weekend and manually removed all the water pooled up. Not sure what would happen if there was a deluge and I'm not at home

KR

Mel

• cannonja
    last year

If possible connect to storm line 

Otherwise just dig a hole about 1m below the outlet and fill with 2 inch clean stone

Soakaway style

Hole covered in permeable  terrram would keep stone clean, no clogging with clay or subsoil

Easy repair

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.