lizzieloodles

Help us make our downstairs work!

lizzieloodles
last year

Hi folks,

We moved into our new house last year and, whilst it’s a beautiful house, it doesn’t really work for us and we want to make it our own.

Currently we have: a large inner hall that is wasted space; a lounge that is difficult to work with, due to being long and narrow with a fireplace on one side and a huge, low window opposite; a kitchen that is big but doesn’t get much light and has too many doors; a conservatory that we love but needs to be modernised, and a downstairs bedroom and loo.

What we would like to do is create a beautiful space that flows and is gorgeous and WOW! Current thinking involves some/any/all of the following:

knock through from the inner hall to kitchen so we have a smaller hallway and open up the kitchen and conservatory into one space that would serve as kitchen, diner and day time snug.

Seal the double doors into the lounge and instead have a door from the entrance hall directly into the lounge.

Create an opening (modern version of an archway, so no door) between the far end of the lounge and the kitchen.

And getting even more ambitious, do away with the downstairs bedroom (which is rarely used) and open the kitchen around to there as well. Then possible ditch the conservatory and have as much glass as possible and bifold doors running the length of the back part of the kitchen. This idea would also involve figuring out where to put the downstairs loo. We could possibly knock through from there to the utility room on the other side. But we need the utility room so would have to replace this. Possibly into the garage as the garage is huge.

A friend has just told me about this site and all the wonderful people and amazing ideas here. Can anyone turn any of what I’m saying into a beautiful layout for us, pretty please with bells on….???

Layout pic attached.

Thank you! 🙏

Liz

Comments (2)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.