webuser_282180160

4cm drop between tiles and wooden floor - threshold ideas?

Su Esse
last year

Hello

We have been left with a 4 cm drop between the tiled floor of the new kitchen and our existing wooden hallway (don't ask!). The door opens out into the hallway, and the kitchen tiling comes all the way to the door frame (see photo).

Ideally we would like to have both a gentle reduction to avoid tripping, as well as to cover the join.

We have found some L shaped metal strips that could cover the area, but nothing that is quite 4cm.

Using these strips would leave an obvious step, but it seems that without cutting the tile, any other "ramp" solutions would involve cutting the door.

Can anyone point me to any L shaped transitions that would cover a 4cm drop?

Or have any other suggestions?

Is trimming the tile back in situ and adding a reducer too risky?

Thanks

Comments (7)

• Su Esse
    Original Author
    last year

Photo

• User
    last year

I used an L shaped oak trim for my threshold (not finished yet). Mine's a 2cm drop

• Su Esse
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks Sarah. Presumably you don't need to adjust your door because it's opening away from the trim?

It seems 2cm trims are readily available but 4cm not so much. Where did you source yours from?

• Juliet Docherty
    last year

I would get a joiner to make one, we did this and it solved the problem.

• Daisy England
    last year

Hubby made mine. He’s a joiner.

• User
    last year
  • Su Esse
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks Sarah. That sounds like a good and affordable option. We'd probably need the longer bit covering the drop and the shorter bit on the other side. Will look into it!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.