webuser_253722580

Neighbour denied access for suspended scaffolds for Reno works

T J
last year

Please can anyone help me with a very unreasonable neighbour whom denied access to my builders for putting their scaffolds up so that they can complete fixing the gutters, rendering and my garage roof gully. There has been a history with my neighbour since I’ve purchased the house 2 years ago, and i really don’t want to share on here as they’ve been terrible to me and tried to drive me out since day one. Anyway, long story short, my new extension on top of the garage which is up to my boundary wall now requires rendering, gutter fixings and a build of flat strip roof section of the garage. However, the only way is to have a tiny scaffold be put onto the neighbours side which has a gap of 0.55m between my new extension wall and their property wall. They bluntly said no and many lies with aggressive threats if they or I was to go over their land ground, or air. My builder even tried to compromise by saying that he can have it suspended and have this whole work completed in 4 days including taking down the scaffolds. But because of their prejudicial hatred for me they said no, but yet complained about the rain that richashades off my new roof into their alley way gap causing flood water accumulating. That is by the way another lie..other neighbours have informed me.

I have already looked at access to neighbour land act but that doesn’t include new structure only maintenance of an existing structure.

I also looked at partywall act could this be the only way?
My main contractor does not know any other method to do any of those build tasks.

I’m at a lost, please can anyone help me......

Comments (10)

• Ricky Watkins
    last year

Definitely party wall surveyor needed for this at your cost

• Daisy England
    last year

I didn’t think neighbours could refuse access in such situations.

• T J
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks Ricky, will try to look into this.. but it seems such a long painful process.. it’ll cause major delays to this renovation.

• T J
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks Daisy, unfortunately they can refuse. I don’t know how this is even going to pass Building control if no drainage installed for this end of the gable?

• T J
    Original Author
    last year

Can anyone give me an advice please?

• Ricky Watkins
    last year

Shouldn't you of already had a party wall agreement before works started? Have you built within 3mtrs of your neighbours building.

• T J
    Original Author
    last year

Unfortunately the party wall agreement doesn’t apply. The new extension sits on top of the existing garage which is my boundary wall (less than a meter from their building).

• Ricky Watkins
    last year

If you're building within 3 MTRS of a neighbours wall irrelevant if you're building on top of an existing structure you need a party wall act! I presume you didn't get one due to costs etc intially.

• T J
    Original Author
    last year

Not necessary, the party wall act states if you build within the 3m and that the foundation is deeper than that of the neighbours property then I will require one.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.