insideoutoxford

What do I need to know about planning permission and garden rooms?

Planning departments have a scary reputation in some towns. We all know stories, hopefully told to us rather than experienced by us, of planners refusing to grant permission to applications that sound reasonable and straightforward. So far, at Inside Out Oxford, we have not had an application refused.

We don’t know for sure, but we like to think that’s because our designs are attractive and sympathetic to the surroundings, and because our project descriptions use wording that helps to sell the intent.

Garden rooms used as annexes for a retired parent, for example, help families to stay together affordably and take the load for care off the state. You can pitch that persuasively and appealingly, or miss a trick and not even mention it.

And remember, garden rooms are here to stay, post-pandemic. Hybrid working both from home and in the office is much more likely to be the norm for most businesses that can afford that, and nobody likes to set up office in the kitchen, or a child’s bedroom.

Comment

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.