insideoutoxford

Do you need planning permission for a garden room?

Do you need planning permission for a garden room?

The “permitted development rights” legislation in the UK describes what most homeowners in most parts of the country may develop without having to apply for planning permission. Category E, Outbuildings, covers garden rooms.

Whether or not you need planning permission depends on this legislation: in a nutshell, if your property qualifies for permitted development rights, you are allowed to build a garden room provided that it complies with the restrictions described in the legislation for Category E, Outbuildings.

If your property does not qualify for permitted development rights, this is usually down to one of two reasons:

The property is a listed building, or is situated in a conservation area

The permitted development rights have been removed by your planning department as part of a previous planning application (also known as a Clause 4 Exclusion).

If your property does qualify for permitted development rights, but you want to build something that does not comply with the restrictions described in the legislation (usually due to size / dimension, or position on the curtilage of the property, or the intended use), then you need planning permission.

Comment

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.