helskirkland

L-shaped master bedroom - am I missing a layout trick?

helskirkland
last year
last modified: last year

Hello,

I would really appreciate some advice on the layout of our master bedroom.

You can see from the plans (drawn by me so I’m afraid they’re not to scale) the existing first floor layout after our ground floor renovations and then the planning approved outline. We’ve done the work in stages for cost purposes. The dotted lines indicate all the ground floor structure and the red walls indicate the shape we have planning approval for. I’m pretty sure the windows on this rear wall could move if needs be though.

Ideally we’d like to add a fifth bedroom, increase the size of the master bedroom and retain an ensuite and dressing room/walk-in wardrobe for it. I’d also love space for a dressing table if possible.

I’ve tinkered with various different layouts for upstairs and think this plan is the best fit. It will limit moving too many load bearing walls which will help with cost and give us a bigger family bathroom for a five bedroom house.

Which leaves us with a really good sized master bedroom, but the l-shape is really confusing me and I’m struggling to work out the best layout. I love the idea of walk-through cupboards into the ensuite, but would also really like a walk-in or enclosed wardrobe space - we've really come to like ourcurrent dressing room and ensuite setup.

How can I make it all fit without making it feel pokey?

Very grateful for any advice.

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Sonia b design
    last year

Good afternoon, one option, could be: moving the door to the Master to the middle and build your dressing along each wall (or leave the door where it is and work through an L shape dressing) to then have your en-suite and bed space along the windows. There are various layout options that can be tested with this option but that would probably be the best use of space in view of the room layout and location of the windows. I hope this helps. Happy to discuss further. Best wishes Sonia

helskirkland thanked Sonia b design
  • Jonathan
    last year

What I would do

helskirkland thanked Jonathan
  • helskirkland
    Original Author
    last year

Great ideas, thank you. I really like the big ensuite - didn't realise I could fit so much in! And I think moving the bedroom door to the middle is a great idea.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.