hotironblacksmithing

Old, Flaky and rusting Railing

Hot Iron
last year

We were contacted by a private client in Islington as they wanted their front railings tidied up as the paint was flaking off, it was rusty and mould was growing in parts of the railing!

After an initial survey and discussion with the client, we chatted about the best course of action and what we could do to help renovate the railings.

We cleaned the flaking paint of using wire bushes and sandpaper. With the rust, we removed and inhibited the active corrosion that has started to rust jacket tight joints open as rusting steel can expand up to 7time its original volume potential bending steel and breaking concrete.

There were a handful of missing railing spikes (called finials) which we were able to replicate and cast in order for them to all match. \there were also a few missing and broken uprights that were repaired.

Once the railings were clean and a paint stripper was applied to remove a high build-up of paint and to bing more detail back to the finial heads as they had been heavily painted multiple times over the decades. It was ready for paint!

We applied a Zinc Primer which put a layer of zinc over the metal which acts as a sacrificial anode which gives the metal a galvanised type of protection and also gives the top coat of paint a good key.

We then applied 2 top coats of paint by hand using a roller and brush to ensure all the nooks and crannies were painted.

Get in touch today about any metalworking for your next project!

Hot Iron's Website

Comment

Ireland
    Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.