webuser_443464317

Rowlands Gill, how to re configure my downstairs any idea’s welcome

HU-443464317
last year
last modified: last year

I am looking to create a more usable downstairs space incorperating a kitchen, dining relaxing area with a seperate lounge if possible.

Currently I have a large utility room which is accessed at the rear of the property (this used to be a seperate dwelling), then basically the whole of the downstairs is split into 2 rooms.

there are lots of floor to ceiling windows to take into consideration this is my stumbling block any advice would be greatly appreciated. Iwould also like tall units in the kitchen with an island if possible.

Comments (10)

• PRO
    The Living House
    last year

Hi HU-443464317, are you looking to make big changes or would you like help with furniture placement etc?

If you would like any guidance and help with your home, we are an affordable online interior design company offering expert advice with affordable packages. Heres the link to our website if you would like to take a look - https://www.thelivinghouse.co.uk/

You may also find our Facebook group community helpful, its another place to ask questions and gain free advice from like minded interior lovers and us as experts! Here is the link if you would like to join - https://www.facebook.com/groups/interiorhomedesignadviceandsupportuk

• HU-443464317
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks so much for your comment it is big changes building work im looking for advise on, i will take look at your website for future reference though.

• CWD
    last year

Have you thought about just putting a kitchen into the bigger room to create the open kitchen/dining/living space, and then have the current kitchen (or part of it) as separate lounge?

• HU-443464317
    Original Author
    last year

thanks CWD I did think about that but having the big windows and the open staircase i thought i would be difficult to create a suitable working kitchen ive got a total creative block hahaha

• pauldrowan
    last year

Would this work?

HU-443464317 thanked pauldrowan
  • PRO
    Phillip Brewer Architecture Ltd
    last year

Hi,

This is a really fantastic floorplan for ideas as its almost a blank canvas. Here is a quick design that I came up with.

I thought you might want a proper entrance hall so that you don’t enter the whole space immediately. As you come through the kitchen is now on the left with living room open to it but partly screened with a central fireplace (the chimney might have to be cleverly routed through the ceiling or the fire could be electric). Then at the back of the house you have a large dining area and and enclosed lounge. I think some folding doors or more glazing at the back with a raised patio or decking would also make this dining room more of a feature!

Please let me know what you think? I have a few more alternative ideas as well. And I wish you all the best with your project!!

Phill

• HU-443464317
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you both for your ideas we already have a log burner in the living room and an open plan staircase that i need to take into consideration you can see them in the pic, any ideas that would work with that ?

• Susy Q
    last year

If you’re looking at big changes, what is happening with upstairs as it currently looks as if you have two sets of staircases- do you need both?

• HU-443464317
    Original Author
    last year

Yes we do have 2 staircases part of the house currently utility used to be a seperate dwelling which is now my daughters bedroom/ensuite upstairs

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.