webuser_137912459

60s exterior upgrade?

Morgan Davies
last year

Any ideas of how best to upgrade this exterior? We know many go with white render and dark window frames but perhaps there is a more interesting variation. Windows are good so would like to keep ideally.

Comments (16)

• Jonathan
    last year

If you are not going to change the windows then don’t do anything to this house……. There are lots of examples of houses where homeowners who were desperate to personalise their houses stuck stuff on the outside and it’s never an improvement.

Personally I think it’s a fine house as it is. If your goal is to stop it looking like a 1960s house you need to change the window apertures. If you were going to spend that kind of money then you could also replace the balcony with something more substantial

• Morgan Davies
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you for the helpful and lovely comments. Don’t get me wrong - I also love the house. I was more thinking that perhaps there is a more stylish / subtle way of modernising the exterior that works with the existing finishes. For example what if I change the white panelling?? Also we are looking at adding windows and doors where the garage is.

• Juliet Docherty
    last year
    last modified: last year

I was going to say a teak garage door, teak cladding and a teak front door would work. Have a look at The Modern House site, you will see lots of inspiration. I would fill that front bed with small grasses .

https://www.themodernhouse.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6_CYBhDjARIsABnuSzrnnG4Yevrk3YJg6dNzO1vXhxot15VTPQzE7l3LeRN88b7kRmoRE1oaAjSfEALw_wcB

• Sonia
    last year

I love it’s retro look and it looks a substantial house. Even the flower bed and steps really suit the house. Two things I would perhaps update is the front door and the balcony.

Here’s a house that needed updating, but of course your house is so much nicer.

• Morgan Davies
    Original Author
    last year

Many thanks guys for the nice comments. We love it and can’t wait to move in!

• Ricky Watkins
    last year

I'd go similar as Sonia's picture chalk white render matched with either Larch or Cedar cladding

• Alenka
    last year

This house is lovley how it is. I wouldn't add a white render as suggested. The house will loose its personality.

• Juliet Docherty
    last year

I've just bought this book, I'm currently part way through reading it, it's very interesting. For example, it talks about 'volume of space' rather than just the standard square footage that estate agents refer to, which is an interesting concept. It also talks about materials, colour, and how houses should function. Lots of nice pictures of trendy pads, but the text if thought provoking. I would also follow Maria Killam on instagram if only for her blunt and to the point videos on what not to do.....'eyeliner windows'.....

• tim_baker921
    last year

I wouldn't change the look either but if you are intending to convert the garage then I would be radical. Take off the balcony. Cut back the floor of the upstairs room and install double height windows. You might want to add a feature staircase and make the old garage the main entrance and grand hallway.

• PRO
    9yards architecture
    last year

A great looking house, and very much of its time.

I'd agree with Tim about potentially reconfiguring for a more prominent entrance when converting your garage.

The thing that really sticks out to me is the balcony - it doesn't seem to relate to the original house. I also wonder whether it's ever used? So many people want a balcony because they're on trend, yet so few are ever used - especially if it just overlooks the driveway and the road beyond.

I also think a new front door to attract the eye to the entrance could make a massive difference. And don't feel that you have to settle for off-the-shelf composite - you'd be surprised how affordable a bespoke hardwood door can be.

• nmlondon
    last year

9yards architecture- beautiful door! I have two of those deer plaques, waiting to be installed

• Christian Meikle
    last year

this was a 60’s facelift with some light structural work to the porch.

• PRO
    Marina Drobot at Cinnamon Space
    last year

I'd change the windows, the garage door and the entrance door. White, black and light wood look good together

• PRO
    Marina Drobot at Cinnamon Space
    last year

Here is a terrible attempt to explain what I mean

• Natalie I
    last year

I think its a nice example of a 60s house so I wouldn't change too much. I think the white render and dark windows look has been overdone in the last few years and probably fashion has or is about to move on.... Render would require regular on-going maintenance. How about you make some cheap(er) changes first and see if you want to do more? I would paint the white boarding, front door, garden wall and garage door in same colour. If you want to go a step further remove the balcony and block in the little windows in the garage door (as they are not in keeping with the house style). When you remove the door that overlooks the balcony, you could take the opportunity to think about the proportion of the door/windows so they marry with the windows you will be have instead of the garage door. Maybe worth replacing the intricate glass work in the current front door for plain glass or ribbed glass for a retro 60s vibe! If you have any the money left over, how about removing the canopy over the door which is not in keeping? If you still need a porch, you could replace with a flat roof which I think would be more in keeping. Good luck! Keep us updated what you decide to do as I would love to see the end result!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.