webuser_639887715

Got the drawings back but still unsure. help!

Sonia Rahim
last year

Hello everyone! After a year of living in our home, we’re ready to put the plans in to renovate. We have hired an architect but I’m not so sure about the initial draft.

Just to give you some background, my husband and I are in our mid 30’s with two young children under 3.

1. I had it in my mind that we would separate the front room to the dining room with French/Crittal doors but following a discussion with an architect, he advised that it would be best to keep the wall as this allows you to put your furniture in front of it. (Especially as my husband hates the idea of a sofa/tv stand in front of the bay windows) also you can get some downtime away from kids etc.
  2. I thought we would have the kitchen diner open plan with the kitchen on one side (not sure where), island in the middle, small toilet and basin under the stairs, dining table next to the garden doors so we can make it an indoor/outdoor living space.
  3. You can see the garden as you open the front door.

As you can see from our draft drawing, our architect has put in what he thinks is the best use of space. I’ve come around to the idea of not having the walk through from the front door into the kitchen/garden and having a utility area, as it’s probably best to have an area to having that dumping ground (hoover, mop, cleaning etc alongside the washing machine/tumble dryer), maybe even a small sink?

I’m certain I don’t want a shower room downstairs as I will have a bath and shower upstairs already and I doubt anyone will have a shower downstairs.

The biggest problem I have with this floor is the section between the front and middle living area. If I have it sectioned off, where does the door go and do I have wasted space? I want the front room to be closed off for us to go in to when we need to hide away from the toys or when we have guests around for tea.

1. Where do we put the toys so it doesn’t look cluttered?
  2. Where is the kitchen best placed?
  3. I love the idea of having floor to ceiling glass doors on that entire wall but the architect has put doors in for a little over half the area due to the sink being there. I want lots of light to come in.
  4. Architect has put in a 6m extension but we won’t do more than 5m as the garden isn’t that big at all.

Anyway, I’ll start with this floor and then move on upstairs on another post. Would love to hear what you think. TIA

Comments (12)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.