webuser_16713319

Can I open this chimney further?

Ruth House
last year

Hi all,
My whole living room remodel hinges on moving this TV unit and TV into the middle of the wall, exactly where the fireplace is. We have had structural engineer do calculations for removing chimney breast right up to loft floor level (which was my original preference as gives us more space upstairs too). However the purlin roof support rests on the chimney stack in the loft so remove will be costly as huge steel supports needed.
Plan B would be to keep chimney but remove fire and open up recess further to allow the TV stand to sit within.
My question is, how thick is the side wall of this chimney breast likely to be? If the lintel is already only resting on one brick then I would assume it is perfectly possible to widen nd raise.
Or is the chimney breast wall likely to be several bricks thick? Or is it 2 layers with gap? I have no idea.
Do you think it will be possible to raise the lintel and widen gap to leave wall the thickness sof the wider bit of whole wallpaper?

Comments (2)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.