webuser_768402840

Washing machine, dryer or washer and dryer and heat pumps

HU-768402840
last year

Hi Everyone,

Some relief, from the blistering heat. Here the work is getting along, now the completion date moved on to September!

In the meanwhile, been looking out for washing machines and dryers. This site has given me so much info, so have tried to give something back, through this post

Some of the information on washing machines etc, I have collected from the internet, and some are comments from youtube etc.

Hope this can help someone may an informed choice

So I walked into curry’s, looking for a washing machine and dryer. Met a young man, who took me through some of the machines. I asked him basic questions, such as the difference between a combined washer+ dryer as one unit and a separate washing machine + dryer as two units.

His advice was to go in for separate units. Interestingly, he also mentioned that heat pump dryers are expensive to buy but are cost-effective in the long term. As they consume less electricity.

So I did a little search and came across some feedback on the net. I cannot vouch for their authenticity but they do seem informative.

--I have a Miele heat pump dryer too and it's absolutely wonderful :)

Bosch tumble dryers aren’t what they used to be, they were good until 2005 when the current generation appeared but lower quality, due to the fact they’re mostly made in Poland and no reversing is what goes against them

-Our Miele heat pump dryer doesn’t take much longer than a traditional vented dryer. About an hour for a load of towels. I don’t have to worry about cleaning out the vent pipe because there isn’t one.

---Non heatpump tumble dryers uses a heat spiral for heating and lint on the heat spiral can cause fire. A heatpump doesn't use a heat spiral.

-Heat pumps are brilliant not only for their energy efficiency but the fact that heat is really bad for most clothes. It’s a far gentler way if drying clothes. They will last longer using a lower heat that heat pumps produce.

-Yeah I agree the heat pump dryer is cheaper but the downside is you need to have a warm property for it to be more efficient. The heat pump dryer mechanics extracts heat from the air combined with a compressor that circulates refrigerant throughout the system and adds pressure this makes the refrigerant hot which also adds heat to the tumble dryer, that can reach up to 45 degrees Celsius. It is basically a reverse fridge in the tumble dryer. Another downside for some heat pump dryers you cannot clean the cooling element because it's in the sealed compartment you need to call a repair man as it can get blocked up quite easily with fluff from the clothing. I have been doing my research because I was thinking of getting one but having second thoughts now because you also need heat in the room where the tumble dryer is used for it to work more efficiently which I've already explained in the previous paragraph, I wish today's prices of gas and electricity and rides many people including myself cannot always have the heating on so having a pump dryer in a cold room defeats the object.

-I love my, incredibly expensive, Miele heat pump. You have to get rid of the fluff and empty the water after every load but that’s hardly onerous. It takes about 1 h 40 min to do a 7 kg cotton load. If I used the eco setting it would take longer but I’ve not noticed any increase in my fuel bills. The clothes still look good.

PS-

Just looked up Miele heat pump dryers and they are way too expensive for me, start at 900 quid!

General comments, on washing machines

-There is no way Samsung anything should show up on a "best of" list

LGG and Samsung are rubbish. A lot of plastic and they rust inside. They look very fancy, but most machines give up after 5 or 6 years (40 to 50% need a repair). These are very cheap made products. A Bosch, Siemens or AEG costs only 100 USD/EUR more, but last double a Korean

Comments (10)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.