marcoliverbathrooms

cover up ugly Gabion baskets

Hi All, Moved to a new build that has very ugly gabion baskets holding a raised area of the garden up. Is there any way to cover them up?

Comments (10)

• Daisy England
    last year

Perhaps you could put timber slats in front of them?

Marc Oliver Bathrooms thanked Daisy England
  • User
    last year

What are they filled with?

• Ted
    last year

You might find this interesting  https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0bl8m12

• Sonia
    last year

If there is soil at the bottom of the gabions, you could plant some climbers to help lessen the impact of the wall. If it’s a sunny area you could plant things like Star Jasmine, Clematis, Honesuckle and Roses. For something fast growing, Irish Ivy is evergreen and brilliant for wildlife. Planting within the garden will also help distract the eye from the wall. A tree would be amazing - something like Sorbus (Rowan) or a dwarf fruit tree, something that doesn’t get too big.

• PRO
    Marc Oliver Bathrooms
    Original Author
    last year

They are filled with horrible cheap bricks. Looks awful. There is no soil beneath them, a walkway of paving slabs is beneath. There is grass above, which could be dug out to make a border and use trailing plants, but I can't see a trailing plant coverig it all up.

• Sonia
    last year

Most climbers will trail if they have nowhere to climb up, things like ivy, clematis Montana (very vigorous) and honeysuckle. Roughly how tall is the gabion wall?

• PRO
    AGI Landscapes
    last year

do yo have a picture of the baskets and surrounding area.

• 88wj88
    last year

If you look up ” Your garden made perfect” tv program they had a transformation involving high gabions at the end of the garden. It was inspirational!

• PRO
    The Rooted Concept Garden Designs
    last year

Sometimes the answer to disguise something is not so much to cover it up but to take your gaze out of it. In the episode of the program mentioned above for example, a whole design full of interesting plants, different heights and elements was created in what was once basically a bare space with the great big gabion wall. In addition to that, they used materials that kind of celebrated the texture of the gabion walls in the end. Some planting in the wall was also done in order to naturalise it a bit more, but this was only a detail in the grand scheme of everything that they did. So, in a smaller scale perhaps if you put a nice specimen tree somewhere that would take your gaze out of the gabions, and then create a planting bed with beautiful plants to bring year around interest (careful to choose the right plant for the right place so that they thrive) on top of it and also planted some ivy to partially cover it, maybe that would give you a better overall effect?

I am a garden designers and offer a range of online services including planting selection and complete garden plan. Please have a look at my website if you would be at all interest in further help.

www.therootedconceptgardendesign.co.uk

All the best,

Deborah

deborahbiasoli@gmail.com

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.