owen_train

Feather edge fence uneven on slope

Owen Train
last year

My perfectionism is eating me again. Had a friend (decent handyman), put together this feather edge fence for me in my sloping back garden. However, it’s curves a bit with the lay of the land, and isn’t at a straight angle. Is this acceptable to all my Houzz friends out there, or is it feasible (or worth it), to make it straight? Thoughts much appreciated!

Comments (15)

• Owen Train
    Original Author
    last year

More photos

• Owen Train
    Original Author
    last year

More photos

• User
    last year

As it follows the lay of the land, I would consider it acceptable. Will it have capping rails? Here is mine

• Owen Train
    Original Author
    last year

It doesn’t have capping rails no. This is something I considered, but I think it’s too uneven to get the capping rail straight?

• Owen Train
    Original Author
    last year

I mean, without gaps

• Sonia
    last year

Normally a fence is stepped where the land is sloping, so the top is always straight, but I like it’s rustic vibe. If you are planning to add more planting it will distract the eye.

• User
    last year

My fence is on sloping ground, but it is quite a gentle slope. The fence would be stepped if it was panels, but closeboard fencing is built on site.

• Sue S
    last year

It's fine. Will look better when you have plants in front of it. It's just very new and raw at the moment so that is all you see.

• Owen Train
    Original Author
    last year

AGI landscapes - so I run a string all the way from top to bottom of fence? I think like the others say, it looks ok, I just get a bit perfectionist about stuff

• Owen Train
    Original Author
    last year

Is there a capping that would be deep enough to cover the whole top of the fence all the way up without the need to cut?

• Owen Train
    Original Author
    last year

Ooooorrrrr. Any ideas what to plant against the fence? I removed some old ferns as I found them a bit old school. I also want to keep as much lawn space as poss. Some kind of creepers? Or plants that won’t get too bushy and take up half the lawn?

• User
    last year

Search for rebated fence capping rails

• Sonia
    last year

Ferns are very on trend, don’t you know! Seriously though, I think planting some climbers may be the way to go. Most climbers need support, such as trellis, wires or tied to a nail on the fence. Climbers that don’t need support are ivy, Virginia creeper (both very vigorous) and Climbing Hydrangea who will cling to the fence. Climbers that will need support are Climbing Roses, Honeysuckle, Star Jasmine and Clematis Montana (vigorous). Another idea is plant some small trees along the fence, assuming there are no paths or buildings nearby. Things like Sorbus (Mountain Ash), Fruit trees (figs, apples, cherries etc) and Dwarf Ornamental Cherries. They create lovely shade and are easy to upkeep.

• PRO
    AGI Landscapes
    last year

Divide the fence into equal sections, maybe 5, so the angle changes as the slope changes. This way you won't have any low areas the neighbours can look over.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.