garden_ella

Refurbishment/redesign ideas for this Edwardian staircase?

garden_ella
last year

Hi, I have a staircase that I would like to fix up. Not sure what to do with it though! I am especially not sure what the wall is at the base of the stairs and if we should keep it?

I don't know if it would be best to keep the wood or paint, stain / bleach the wood. I do know that we'll be taking down the wallpaper and getting rid of the carpeting.

Thanks for any ideas!

Comments (2)

• Daisy England
    last year

I think they have tried to make a feature at the bottom of the stairs but it doesn’t look right. It’s bulky. We would normally angle it and continue the spindles.

You could paint the spindles. l would remove the dado too as they are somewhat dated now.

• Sonia
    last year

I would remove that wood at the bottom of the stairs. With the dado rail, is it a period property and if so might it be original? You could keep it and paint it to match or Co-ordinate with whatever decor you choose (see first pic below). The stair rail would look nice either painted white or charcoal grey. Another option is white spindles and a charcoal grey handrail. A nice soft colour is Purbeck Stone by Farrow & Ball which my sister has used on her stairs and it looks lovely.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.