alison_stribling58

Help with decorating ideas. Why is it here?

I'd like to ask if anyone has seen this type of thing before and how would you decorate around it. Our house is late 1920's . I'd like to add stair panelling however this piece of wood has me stumped as to how to work around it. I feel like it's something to do with the floor joists on the adjacent wall? The staircase has an odd thing too, where the bannister has been trimmed to fit as if the staircase was too wide when installed (not shown) When we redecorated the kitchen we had to remove a piece of the picture rail to install cabinets, it was literally built into the wall with huge wedges of wood mortared in place. I have a feeling this piece shouldn't be moved. Thought about building the wall out around it with wood or drywall to try and make it flush but it's quite a deep piece of wood so it would cause the skirting board to be pushed out beyond the edges of the door frames. Have a feeling I'm going to have to live with it and just do the same paper or paint as is. Can you think of a way to make it better, or a way of disguising it it? Thanks in advance.

Comments (11)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.