victoria_rawlings67

Garden help! Any ideas for sloped concrete and public sewer access?

VRP
last year

The back of our house is a bit of a pig! We have a sloped concrete patch between the back of the house and the outhouse and also a public sewer which we have to allow access to if needed.
The part with the lovely brown stain running down it was where the old boiler was, boiler has been removed and that housing for it will be knocked down.
We have a large garden the other side of the out house but I'm struggling with what we can do with this small section. We were going to deck it but I think it will just be to costly and also be above the 300mm so will need permission. I'm thinking of just having some large planters there instead that run along the back which we can move if access is required.
Eventually the window to the left will be full length or possibly be the back door and we will change the colour of the render.
I just don't know what else to do with it which will not cost the earth but make it look more attractive.
We also have a sloped side access path but the whole of the concrete is such a mess.
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Comments (10)

• H Batarfi
    last year

What about artificial grass for the garden or a part of the outer space. Adding some potted plants and a paint the concrete using your prefered sketch

• H Batarfi
    last year

you also may add wood panels and some accessories

• H Batarfi
    last year

or may be a spiral garden, just like raised beeding

• H Batarfi
    last year

spiral

• Jonathan
    last year

I would save up unit you can do it properly. If it were mine I would knock down the garage and excavate all that concrete. Then put doors on the back of your house to connect the house with the garden.

• Sonia
    last year

Decking is one of the cheapest options, but it doesn’t last long. Mine started to rot around the edges after 8 years, but it may do the job for a while until budget allows. Another thought is gravel contained within wooden edging. It may be a bit difficult to walk though, but again pretty cheap. With the drain cover you could cover with the gravel and then sweep it aside when access to drain is needed. With decking we actually built a hinged door over the drain within the deck. Now we have laid porcelain tiles and we had a drain cover that incorporates the tiles so it is “sort of invisible” and it can be lifted to gain access (see below). I think you idea of plant pots is a great way to tart up a concrete patio, add an outdoor rug (they are weather proof) and some garden furniture.

• VRP
    Original Author
    last year

@Jonathan we would love to do that but unfortunately it's not an option. It would cost too much and we don't plan on staying forever, we might move in 6 years. 

Our bathroom and utility are at the back of the house and we are going to use the outhouse as an additional room eventually.

• VRP
    Original Author
    last year

@H Batari. The only problem with the concrete is its all broken so don't think painting it would make it look any better but good idea.

• kazzh
    last year

Large planters might be the way to go. Pop them on the roller bases so you can move them round easily. Given the expanse you have,  I think the larger the better to be proportional to the wall space. A large one full of flowers, or a miniture tree,  could sit in the middle between the buildings. Another idea that would add color would be window boxes at the windows. Usually they bring a garden to window height, but for your space  it would reak up the blankness  of the back walls. Planting could be flowers or you could cultivate a drapey style plant to hang dpwn.

• Coil Alians
    last year
    last modified: last year

I would remove most of the cement and plant some trees and flowers, and make like little paths between them. That's the optimal way in my opinion to give some life to that back yard. Almighty Construction is doing this kind of work. They have a lot of projects on which they worked, and you can see the results on their website, maybe some of them will be exactly what you need. If not, then you can discuss what exactly do you wanna change, and they can come up with some ideas and suggestions.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.