webuser_420032979

victorian doors look nice but are warped and let sound in, replace?

HU-420032979
last year

Hi, we have 4 panel victorian doors throughout our victorian house. They look lovely but they are pretty warped. We have a couple of spare rooms we want to let out however the privacy is not there.

I did take the doors down and sanded much crayon and dirt off them, filled gaps with wood filler, and put weather stripping on them. They're better but they still ain't great for the purpose of keeping noise out (the panels are very thin and they are warped). I tried to unwarp them with heat, pressure and water, with perhaps a small success.

I would like doors which have a good seal. So I'm thinking of replacing the bedroom doors with pine 4 panel fire doors. These are thicker (44mm as opposed to 33mm) and as i'd have to replace the frames also they would have a better seal.

Will this improve or decrease the value of the house, or would you recommend something else? Cheers!

Comments (2)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.