gianna_brancato

House extension dilemma

Mad Italian

Hello,
Please help! We have been planning a kitchen extension for almost 2 years. Please advise,suggest and propose as I cannot decide. We would like an open space kitchen with an island a snug area and a dining area. Can you suggest some possible layout? Where would you locate these area? Slope roof or flat with a lantern on top on the extension? We would like to achieve a modern snd minimalist look. Thank you in advance. Any comment is greatly appreciated

• Mad Italian

Where would you locate each area ,kitchen, dinning and snug in these plans to maximise the use of space ? Please help

• katlucy

With your extended plan I would look to put the kitchen along the study and utility wall (‘secret‘ door to utility) with a long island or long peninsular in front looking out to the rest of the room and garden.

Snug to the left and a dining table near the sliding doors. Cupboards or desk against the dining room wall

Two positions for the TV depending on preferred sofa configuration and access to view…. side wall or between the garden windows

• katlucy
    last modified: last month

If you don’t extend, say only use half the garage area, then would this configuration work…I'm guessing quite a bit on the dimensions ….excuse the scribbles.

• Mad Italian

Thank you very much for your suggestions Katlucy. I appreciate that. On the extension layout I had thought about putting the kitchen Along the study and utility and then carry on with a larder and ovens almost to create an L shape but I am not sure if then it would be to tight for an island / breakfast and the snug?

• katlucy
    last modified: last month

If you have seating at the end of the island, maybe a curved end, rather than seating along the long length this should give enough width for the snug area

• Mad Italian

Thank you very much for going through the trouble of me thing this Katlucy. We are considering maybe to make the extension a metre further, 4 metres to ensure there is enough space between snug and island (not my first choice as I do not want to eat too much into my garden) what are your thoughts? What does everybody think about this layout … enough space and would it feel harmonious and is it a good layout? Next question is lantern or velux windows?
    Thank you

• Mad Italian

Sorry about the poor sketch 😆

• katlucy

What is the length of the outside wall at the top of the island. i would be working on needing 4.2m ….600 units 1,200 island and 1,200 clearance around the island.

Hopefully some kitchen planners will chip in soon…..

• Mad Italian

Thank you .The outside wall is 4.50. The island is 1,200 by 3 metres.

• katlucy

I can’t read the blue measurements on your extension plan but the utility/study wall appears to be an equal size to the outer wall… if i draw this out on graph paper the island appears to be too long at 3m, 2.4m would be better for flow between the dining table and island seating. i might make the extension slightly larger say 3m to allow for more choice on size and configuration of your sofa.

Velux windows IMO are more modern but then i love a lantern so cant help you there!!

Hope this helps. It will be a lovely room.

• Mad Italian

Thank you again for the great sketching. I feel reassured as with this sketch I can envisage how can this space will flow .

Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.