webuser_768402840

New cracks discovered and a 50% increase in the electrical wiring

HU-768402840
last year

Hi Everyone,

Just when I was plodding along and hoping for some peace of mind, just got hit with two events

One, is that they 'discovered' new cracks in the sun room wall. After removing the decorative stones. Not sure why those were removed in the first place!!

The builder advises ' Please note, that when we removed the decorative stone work this was found behind. Recommend steel ties, membrane as it's a single brick wall, insulation and plastered'

-Not sure how much the above will cost but I guess will just add on.

Please see the pics enclosed within

Comments (4)

• HU-768402840
    Original Author
    last year

The electrician gave me an even bigger shock. I selected him, as his initial quote in October was pretty reasonable, at 4500, for full rewiring of the 3 bed house. He had the electrical survey report, so knew what things were needed to be done.

In April 2022, just before he started the work, he jacked up the quote to 5200 quid

Today, after some 'first fix' or whatever, he now has quoted a final figure of 6500( including VAT)

So a 50% increase, since the first quote in October 21.

I think there were some additional 'points' and few more connections plus inflation to be accounted for. But a 2000 quid or 50% increase is not what I find reasonable .

Even worse, on his recommendation, I selected the current builder. I still await his final quote, not sure how many volts or joules he has for me.

Bad day for me today...worse case scenario, I may just stop everything and look for new set of tradesmen? I know it's going to be painful , don't know

• Daisy England
    last year

What is on your contract?

When the electrician quoted you how long was the quote valid for and did you pay the deposit to seal the deal at that price before the validity expired? If so that price should have been held.

There have been collosal price increases over the past 2 years but the contractor should have stated how long the quote was valid for and held the price.

He can’t just keep thinking you’re going to pay so will increase the price.

We are contractors too and only hold prices 28 days. Once the deposit has been paid that price is held.

Why did he remove those decorative stones? Granted you don’t know what is behind them. Ask him.

Did he give you a detailed quote?

HU-768402840 thanked Daisy England
  • HU-768402840
    Original Author
    last year

Hi Daisy

Been a long day, just back from work

Brain fog

Once I wake up will write

many thanks

Mel

• Jonathan
    last year

These hiccups are natural during renovations. Here how you deal with it:-

Firstly don’t lose your nerve- you won’t make a cost saving by binning the builder as the next builder won’t like taking on a half done job and so they will be more expensive.

Secondly you need to ask the electrician questions in a non confrontational way - a quote a year ago is irrelevant but you should ask how the quote has increased by 30% in 6 weeks since nothing else has increased that much in that time. It may be that you have added significant extra jobs to the list and are unaware of their impact. If there is a credible reason for the increase then you can be informed and might even consider accepting the revised cost. But personally I think you will be parting ways with the electrician due to extortion.

Builder- it’s thorough to strip away cosmetic covering to examine the structure of the building. So although stripping the stone was unexpected it’s not a bad thing- indeed if you intend to upgrade this conservatory it’s important to understand what you have to work with. And although the cost of upgrading that structure is unexpected you have an opportunity to do it right now and if you don’t do it now you will never do so. My advice is spend on this conservatory, make it a quality room that is connected to the garden- then make it a more useable room by taking down the wall to the kitchen / dining room- unless you do this you are in danger of spending a lot on a room that is only 8’ wide and given it has a door at each end it’s little more than a corridor to the garden. Personally I think this square footage is more valuable than other spending so if it means that you have to have second hand wardrobes and cheaper bathroom tiles then so be-it.

HU-768402840 thanked Jonathan
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.