Refurbishment ongoing, pics enclosed

HU-768402840
last modified: last month

Hi Everyone,

So after a long delay, the refurbishment finally got underway. For 5 days, they hammered and stripped most of the plaster, carpets and wall between the dining /kitchen. As well as the top floor.

Please find some pics enclosed within. Look a bit unnerving and always the doubt, what if they don't get it right!!

The next step would be reconstruction, plastering, flooring, wiring, RSJ and electrics.

Anything I can do to help? Spray the wood? so that it would last longer? Please do suggest

Thanks

Mel

Kitchen ceiling

Bathroom, used to be

The bathroom now, with missing wood

• HU-768402840

Wall across the staircase

Original dining room-no more

Previous kitchen, no more

Kitchen and dining room wall down

• HU-768402840

• HU-768402840

Living room, used to be

• Sonia

Mel at this stage I don’t think there is much you can do. By sprayin the wood, I’m not sure what you mean? By all means visit the house daily and get an update from the builder. When you see a refurb at this stage it can be daunting but wait until the plastering is done and the flooring is down and then I’m sure you will feel better about it all. Good luck!

HU-768402840 thanked Sonia
  • Daisy England

You don’t need to bother spraying any wood (timber). It won’t make any difference. It’s inside and will be covered. It will last. Preservative is usually applied as a base coat for exterior projects (think windows and doors).

What exactly is the plan? Is the whole of the downstairs area going to be one large open plan room?

Now you need to think ahead in relation to electrics; where do you want sockets etc. Ensure you have enough. Choose some with USBs. Bare in mind all the extra little things like Alexa, X Box, additonal TVs, lamps, and that’s beside all the kitchen plug points. Lots of them!

I love a big project like this. I always say you can’t have all this done without a mess and plastering is one of the dirtiest jobs ever, but don’t get disheartened. The end result will always be worth the muck, mess, money and concerns.

HU-768402840 thanked Daisy England
    Den Life Interiors

Wow - what an exciting time! This is when everything is possible! Enjoy the process. You don't need to preserve the wood - that will last just fine as is. Totally agree with Daisy's points re electrics and also do think carefully about lighting. It is one of THE most important things when it comes to getting a room to 'feel' right. Layers of lighting are key from task lighting in the kitchen, under cupboard lights, wall lights, lamps. sensor lights and more! The more flexibility you give yourself with dimmer switches and levels of light, the better your finish will feel as you can set the mood easily then. Good luck and have lots of fun with it! It sounds like you are already planning - that is the key to success!

HU-768402840 thanked Den Life Interiors
  • HU-768402840

Hi Daisy,

Thanks for the feedback, will skip the wood preservative.

Not the whole downstairs area, but the dining room and kitchen walls were knocked down, to create an open plan kitchen.

The rest they have knocked the plaster off the ceiling and took down the carpets and old radiant heater from the fireplace

• HU-768402840
    last modified: last month

some

more

pics

wall

plaster and floor of bed room

• HU-768402840

Hi Jonathan,

Any feedback, from the pics?

Thanks

Mel

Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.