webuser_658686208

PFAS-free & VOC-free household goods & furnishings?

A Londoner
last year

Hi,
I have severe chemical allergies (like 20-27% of the population), including to VOCs/all fragrances/botanicals/essential oils/many woods (i.e. especially allergic to: oxidised limonene & oxidised linalool), also chrome, nickel, and colophony/rosin (in terms of any direct skin contact to many glues/sealants). The VOC content is much lower in oak and ash woods (and at a pinch, beech), so I am fine with these if they have been kiln dried or I allow them to offgas first for 6-8 weeks before use / being in the same room as them. Other woods are unsafe for me (eg pine, cedar), as these contain high levels of oxidsed limonene. Emerging medical & scientific research seems to suggest that a high overall toxic burden in the body may be a significant if not predominant contributing cause to chemical allergies, including particularly cumulative and ongoing exposure to PFAS / flame retardants / toxic forever chemicals.
Accordingly, I'm looking to replace household goods with ones without any: PFAS / toxic forever chemicals / flame retardants / Teflon / flame retardant-infused interliners. Keen to hear any brand recommendations in the UK (or importable from Europe) accordingly for:
- Sofas / armchairs (the toughest to find safe alternatives for!!): Eg. Eco Sofa, Bespoke 180 degrees, any others in the UK.......??? Do you know of any PFAS & interliner-free, only natural materials, sofa brands in Europe which I might be able to buy for shipment to the UK (or buy in Europe and personally have shipped to the UK)? Which European countries most prohibit these, or in which European countries am I likely to be able to get the most information around products explicitly omitting these?
- Mattresses (eg. Warren Evans, Button & Sprung, Snoozel Green (??), Cotton Safe, ... any others?)
- Irons / Garment steamers (Philip's products appear to be full of them in the soleplates, and the company was very shady and evasive about this too). Any safe eg. Stainless steel soleplate ones anyone can confirm are free of all PFAS including internally?
- Carpets: any natural fibre brands (eg pure wool) confirmed not to have any coatings/scotchguard treatments, also without PFAS in the backing?
- Carpet underlay: Any brands without PFAS at all (does "Breathe" omit all PFAS? What about VOCs? - e.g.: https://trade.qaflooringsolutions.com/carpet-underlay/breathe/breathe-natural-wood-fibre-10mm-carpet-underlay )
- Does anyone make deck chair-style seating with removable / washable fabric but of a normal seating height & more upright for indoor use rather than low slung reclined outdoor beach use?
- Any brand recommendations for natural oiled solid oak (or ash wood) furniture without any veneers, and with VOC-free glue & dovetail etc traditional joinery? Any recommended custom manufacturers who do the same?
- Paints: I've already found safe solutions here, but for anyone else looking: Lakeland Paints, Little Knights, and Nordfarg are the only VOC-free UK paint brands I could find. Lakeland Paints also does colour matching brilliantly and has excellent customer service.
Any brand recommendations in the above areas would be hugely appreciated!! :)))

Comment

Ireland
    Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.