webuser_768402840

Fireplace, cracks and the chimney

HU-768402840
last year

Hi Everyone,

Hope all is well.

After a long wait, the builders have finally started the refurbishment work. Led by an experienced, elderly builder, who is coordinating the work.

One issue that has cropped up are the cracks and the chimney.

In the past, I had noticed huge cracks in the wardrobe wall of the bedroom on the first floor.

A structural engineer opined that 'this was main cracking which is to the left-hand wall within the rear wardrobe and within the rear wall along with the junction of the chimney and the dividing wall within the front wardrobe is thermal movement due to heat within the chimney breast from the fire situated in the ground floor room. In this age of property the chimney may not be lined consequently the heat is simply affecting the brickwork lining of the chimney which is causing expansion and contraction resulting in the cracking noted. This expansion and contraction will also have caused the movement at the junction of the dividing wall with the right-hand wall due to the movement noted in the adjoining walls. We scrapped some of the plaster back and noted the internal block walls were old clinker blocks which are also more susceptible to cracking and thermal movement'

We would advise that the chimney is checked and if it is not lined as we suspect then a liner should be installed in accordance with current regulations

---

The builder has advised that 'Chimney. We would recommend this is removed certainly down to first floor' In the same email he also inquired if I had taken out building and home contents insurance.

I read about the removal of chimneys and it can can lead to instability of the building? So am a little unnerved about this. Please do find some pics enclosed within. I am due to meet the builder on Monday and go through all this. Thought of also contacting the structural engineer, who issued the report, and ask him a second opinion as well?

Please do advise

Kind Regards

M

Comments (8)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.