lspendl828

Is secondary spraying “normal” for bespoke window colour?

lspendl 828
last year

I’m procrastinating in ordering new windows for the front of the house. Going for timber look, flush upvc in equal sections, without transoms. My hesitation’s due to the fact that the colour I’m going for (Quartz Grey - RAL 7039) isn’t one that is normally available. So I’ve been quoted to produce the windows in some random colour but then to have them taken to a booth, before they get to our house, to be sprayed in quartz grey.

This is where my nerves kick in! Is this ‘normal’ in the window world? I don’t know much about it but it is this secondary process of spraying that I’m tetchy about. Surely the brand new windows coloured in this way won’t be as robust as windows that have been produced in that colour in the first place?

I know it’s common these days for people to have their old windows sprayed, in situ, to a different colour but that’s not what I’m talking about here.

To throw a spanner in the works, Residence 7 windows are available as standard in the colour, Corse Lawn - it’s nearest RAL colour being quartz grey. Wonderful! However, they won’t produce the windows without transoms because of the large size and they want to put in 4 sections rather than the 3 I wanted (I’m ok with the latter).

Sorry to be so wordy but what would you do?

Option 1
Off-site secondary spraying in my preferred fenestration, without transoms.

Option 2
Go for Residence 7 in Corse Lawn but with transoms.

Thanks for reading and giving me a bit of hand-holding! 🙂

Comments (5)

• macbroom
    last year

The first thing I would do, if you have not already, is ask the company if you can view their windows in situ that they have previously made - with and without transoms - so you can decide which proportions would look better on your house. Once you make that decision it will dictate option 1 or 2. I replaced all my windows with bespoke timber cottage casement windows and viewed 2 companies’ windows in situ and am glad I did as one was a definite no as I wasn’t keen on the proportions and joinery. As far as I know, spraying windows at the factory is standard. The company I went with advised that spraying 2 colours (different colours for interior and exterior of windows) doesn’t always work out too well so I just went with one colour. I hope this helps with your dilemma. Good luck!

• lspendl 828
    Original Author
    last year

You know, it didn’t occur to me to check out their previous work. - seems obvious now! Thank you macbroom.
    Maybe it is a run of the mill occurrence to spray new windows to a specified colour, then? I haven’t any experience of this. I’m guessing you’re happy with your sprayed windows?
    Thanks again. L

• macbroom
    last year

Yes, very pleased with them! Went for colour match to F&B All White, eventually when they need repainted (in about 10 years) will paint the exterior in a colour. Your PVC ones won’t need the same maintenance as timber but you can still have them painted. My daughter just had her white PVC windows painted, not sprayed, in black by a painter decorator and they look great 🙂

• Em B
    last year

Hi, I could have written this post! We are having this dilemma , really want 7039, nowhere does it except special order /sprayed. We too came across Residence Corse Lawn but have yet to get a price on that and cant have same colour interior and exterior. Aluminium is the only way to achieve this I think but probs out of our price range. What did you do in the end?

• lspendl 828
    Original Author
    last year

Hi, we still haven’t committed yet! We decided to have the alterations done to the porch first, including a new front door and sidelights in brown-black. It’s booked in for March - couldn’t believe the lead time having ordered in November! Hoping that after this is done, the window colour decision will become clear.

We had quotes for both Residence windows in Corse Lawn and bespoke sprayed upvc. The bespoke spraying cost an extra 33% on top of the standard price. Residence came in marginally less than this but as a standard product, we feel more inclined to go for it (even though it’s so much more expensive than standard upvc). I still feel uneasy about the the spraying of brand new windows that isn’t integral to the factory production process.

Good luck with your decision. It’s not easy…

L

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.